The Game

Steve's POV

"Then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college." And she's not my type. "Do I wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex?" I feel dissapointed to say the least. This has been going for months, I can't find THE one, not even close. "I mean... Does that make sense to you?" I turn to Robin, still keeping my eyes on the road, as she does her eyelashes carefully.

I wait for a few seconds before realizing that she wasn't paying any attention to what I was saying.

"Robin, are you listening?"

"Uh, yes" she replies, still on her own world.

"What did I just say?"

"Something about sex with Linda!" She guesses randomly.

"No! I'm talking about Heidi!" I shout loudly.

"Cut me some slack, please!" She yells back.

"Well-" I'm cut off before I can even reply.

"Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity. It is 7:00 in the morning, we have this stupid pep rally and I woke up looking like a corpse." She mumbles as she touches her hair and face while checking herself on the car's mirror.

"You're worried about the Basketball pep rally? Do you expect me to believe that?" I ask sarcastically.

"Yeah, so?" I interrupt her this time.

"So.. we both know what this is about. Ok? I'm not buying that bullshit, this is about Vickie!" I crack the case.

"No, absolutely not."

"Yes it is, you know what else I think?"

"I don't care-"

"I think you should stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her, ok? You just gotta be yourself." I explain to her.

"You're literally quoting me to me, you do realize that?"

"Well, maybe you need to listen to yourself sometimes. Ever think about that? I listened. Now look at me. Boom! Back to business." I lie, like I've been doing to myself for the past month.

"It's not the same thing, okay?"

"Well..."

"You ask a girl out and she says no. Big deal, nothing happens. Maybe your ego is a little bruised. But I ask out the wrong girl and bam, I'm a town pariah!" She explains, and I understand her. I accept her, but not everyone is like that. People are... Afraid of differences, afraid of things they can't understand. But there are things we can't control and it's hard to understand that sometimes. But what Robin described about Vickie, seemed just like her, and even if she is not gay, I think she would understand.

"I'd buy that, except Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl."

"We just, don't know that, do we?"

"She returned Fast Times paused at 53 minutes, five seconds." Seriously, does she not see how gay that is? "Do you know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, five seconds?" We had this conversation a thousand times already, but she still doesn't get it.

She just shakes her head in shame of what I'm about to say.

"People who like boobies, Robin!"

"Ew! Gross, don't say boobies."

"Boobies" I repeat. "I like boobies" I guess "You like boobies!" I say, before pausing dramatically. "Vickie likes boobies, definitely!"

Robin just keeps shaking her head, disappointed.