hold onto that feeling

everyone that you had ever come across would tell you that teaching would be the most difficult job in the world. that you would be in a lifetime worth of debt and it would most likely be a mistake. you hadn't told them the catch, which was you would be teaching at hogwarts, the school of magic and wizardry. albus dumbledore was always looking for new talent to join the prestigious wizardry school from the veterans of wizardry to new and upcoming teachers like yourself. this year you would be teaching muggle studies, it was quite bizarre to even that wizards referred humans as muggles but perhaps that would be something you would look into in your own time.

you arrived to hogwarts one week before students would. everything felt like a dream to you, you couldn't believe that you were standing at the front doors of hogwarts. you hypothetically left your life and wanted this fresh start. sure, hogwarts was an obscure place to earn your teacher status but you knew that this is what you wanted to do. your fingers reached for the handle and pushed open the large wooden doors, revealing the great hall in all its glory. grabbing your suitcases and your trunk you entered and in the distance, you saw dumbledore and mcgonagall.

"ah miss y/n l/n, welcome to hogwarts. i see you made it on time." dumbledore greeted you, a firm handshake and a smile across his face, despite it being covered in his long beard. "thank you professor dumbledore, its good to see you again." you said, a warm grin graced your face as you let go of his hand and shook minerva mcgonagall's hand.

"it's a pleasure to meet you as well professor mcgonagall. i've heard lots about you." you admitted, which flattered the teacher. "so have i, we're always welcoming new teachers like yourself." minerva said. "you have?" you asked.

"oh yes, well versed in muggle music at the academy am i correct?" she asked and you nodded.

"yes, muggle music is what i studied." you said, it would take some getting used to calling everything you had done with the word muggle before it.

"fascinating, we really look forward to you teaching muggle studies with us." minerva said, "allow us to give you a tour of this place." she added. minerva clicked her fingers and you greeted by a creature of some sorts. "mistress you called for me." the elf like creature had appeared.

"this is y/n l/n, your new mistress." minerva introduced.

"mistress y/n! mistress y/n is very pretty. i am pippy, pippy the elf." the elf said. "a pleasure to meet you pippy and thank you for your lovely compliment." you said to the house elf.

"i shall take your things mistress y/n, mistress y/n just needs to call for me if you need me." pippy said, you smiled and agreed that you would do so.

you followed mcgonagall and dumbledore around the castle as they spoke about everything they went past, with your trusty notebook and pen at hand you were adamant on getting every word that dumbledore and mcgonagall were saying, dumbledore had peered over your shoulder and waved his fingers 3 times and before you knew it, your pen and notebook was up in the air and writing everything for you. you were completely shocked at the scene but then again, there was no doubt that a lot of things would. you did sign up for this for a reason.

once the talk of hogwarts was finished, the notebook and pen swiftly landed in your grasp. as if nothing had happened. "now that the official hogwarts tour is complete allow us to show you your chambers and your classroom. i'll leave that with you professor, i have to go and greet the rest of your colleagues. it's a pleasure to have you with us at hogwarts, i hope you enjoy it here." dumbledore said, "thank you sir. i look forward to teaching here." you said, dumbledore nodded with approval and walked off.

professor mcgonagall had shown you to your private chambers, pippy must have managed to bring your things inside, you took a mental note to redecorate your chambers. then you had been shown the classroom, gloomy and the only light radiating was the stained glass window at the front of the class. you could put your own muggle touch to this classroom. you looked over at your trunk that had been filled with your teaching equipment.