The wrong room

I couldn't believe my eyes.

Chris had done it. Seriously. «It's complicated», he kept saying. «I'll come up with something.» Is kissing Ashley right in my room the idea he came up with?

We arrived in the Blackwood Mountains a few hours ago. The trip with Chris and Ashley had been pretty irritating, as he was glued to that girl like a mussel. The others had already arrived, while the last ones were Jess and Mike. I wonder why.

After settling in the cabin and choosing where to sleep, alcohol was a must. It was an unwritten law.

We sat around a rather badly made table, but it was very useful for putting the bottles down. Since we were lazy, looking for the generator wasn't really an option, so we lit up with a couple of candles.

«All that's missing is the Ouija board» Josh said, taking a sip of beer.

Sam glared at him. «Are you really the one talking about the Ouija board?»

He shrugged, and the girl laughed.

In that case, Chris had decided to stand in front of Ashley and next to me: that was enough to give me a little bit of butterflies in my stomach. My contender saw the scene very well, and that was exactly what I was hoping for.

«It's really too cold,» Em complained, as she often used to, «is there any way to warm up?»

Mike did not miss the opportunity to have his say. «Well, Matt will take care of warming up, right Matt?»

The boy, sitting right next to Mike, almost choked on alcohol. «Sure, sure.»

«Look, otherwise I can take care of it» Mike added, without looking at anyone in particular.

«Fuck you, Mike», Jess and Matt said almost at the same time, while Em laughed very softly.

We were all dressed very heavily, and the night, especially in Canada, was looking particularly long and cold. At the very thought , I shivered, and Chris put his arm around me. «Hey, are you okay?»

As Ashley watched, I rested my head on his shoulder. «Just... a little cold.»

The girl in front of us suddenly stood up. Had I crossed the line?

«Ashley, where are you going?» Chris asked himself, raising his arm from me.

«Bathroom», she replied. Of course it was a lie and, in fact, Chris didn't take long to go after her.

Without him near me, I was forced to hug my legs to not feel the cold.

Mike looked at me. «Are you really letting him go?»

«Excuse me?»

«Come on, man, you can't really let them wander around this gigantic cabin alone.»

I nodded. He was probably right, yet something in my mind told me that probably nothing would happen between Chris and Ashley in that moment of intimacy. Maybe he would explain to her that things were not going to work out, that it was me he wanted to be with.

I went in search of them to get this confirmation, taking the opportunity to bring my backpack for the night in the room. It took me about ten minutes to find my room, and it was here that my certainties collapsed.

Ashley was kissing Chris. I dropped the backpack on the floor. I was angry. Disappointed. And I also felt deluded.

They both turned, Ashley a slightly embarrassed look and a slightly stupid smile on her face. Chris was in shock and, before I could even take a step, he shouted my name. I ignored him, walking briskly down the corridor.