↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

I'm gonna make these updates an every other week thing? I'm still really behind and I'm gonna completely run out of chapters if I keep trying every week  so I'll see you again in two weeks :,)

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 2, 1969

It really just seemed like an unnecessary punch in the gut, Alexandria thought as she curled up into a ball on the living room couch. Jostick hopped up next to her and crawled on top of her, laying down and purring in delight. Alexandria reached up and stroked his fur, but it did nothing to change the despair she was feeling.

They'd done everything right, hadn't they? They'd spent practically every second of their vacation in bed, they'd counted the days of her cycle, she'd stopped drinking, they'd done every single thing she had ever remotely heard about to help with conceiving...and now she was bleeding, and early nonetheless. Not only was she bleeding, but she was cramping as well, and all of her efforts to tame the awful sensation had failed. She tried medicine and that didn't work. Then, she tried Tiger Balm ointment—something new she had discovered a few weeks ago—and that also didn't work.

So she'd resorted to lying about and feeling desperately sorry for herself. And since she wasn't pregnant, she threw in a bottle of scotch just to give her some sort of joy. She didn't bother pouring herself a glass. What was the point of that when you had the full bottle?

Her stomach cramped, and she took a swig of her scotch to convince herself that she hadn't felt it. Then, she lowered the glass bottle down onto the floor beside the couch. She folded her now empty hands underneath the side of her head and huffed in displeasure. She was angry, not only at her and George's failure to conceive, but also because this had just ruined the memory of her vacation, a vacation that had been more than she could ever ask for. It had been a wonderful getaway, but now all it felt like to her was a damned failure.

She let out an audible groan, and Jostick jerked to his feet in surprise. Then, he ran away. Rupert hopped into the room, and they both retreated to the back door. Alexandria stared at them, not wanting to get up, until Rupert hopped up onto his back two legs and scratched his paws against the glass door. The high pitched squeak of his nails against the glass was enough to get Alexandria on her feet and she was letting them out in an instant.

The two Siamese cats ran off into the yard side-by-side, and Alexandria watched them for a few minutes. How wonderful would it be if they had a child to play with? A child who wasn't a useless sack of flesh like his or her mother, that is.

Alexandria dragged her feet back over to the couch and slumped down onto the cushions, her body sagging depressively. Her mind spun just a bit as it kept trying to remind her of why she was so upset, and when it became too much to bear, a couple of tears slipped out of her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. The onslaught of teardrops started out silent, but quickly turned ugly, and before long, Alexandria's chest was heaving impressive sobs that would send bears into early hibernation out of fear.