~Why Would I Lie About That (Sophitz)~

Do you ever feel like if you scrolled on tumblr enough for one specific ship for long enough, you could end up shipping it? That's exactly what happened to me last night, when I was scrolling on Keefex stuff and accidentally made my way over to the Sophitz content. And oh my god, was I slapping myself on the face for even DARING to betray Fedex.

And now I kind of have a sudden urge to write some Sophitz. So here you go. Now I will tag the only Sophitz shipper I know on this platform, rainwings_rule.

(Suddenly after scrolling on tumblr again to look for prompts, I feel revolted. Was I drugged last night or what, because I very distinctly remember kind of melting at Sophitz prompts. Maybe I was just sleepy. Now I kind of have to finish this though...)

_______________________________________________________________________________

✩Fitz's POV✩

Being a Telepath was probably the greatest gift anyone could have ever given me. Specifically being a Cognate. To Sophie Foster.

Being a Cognate gave me a chance to notice every little detail about her eyes. Her warm brown eyes that faded into pools of gold at the bottom, the line between brown and gold being mixed a lot of the time. Occasionally, the lighting of the room made the brown and gold appear more distinguished and seperate, but most of the time that was not the case. And every time she looked at me, little sparks of gold danced around the brown patches in her irises, like little fireflies trapped inside. Only Sophie would figure out a way to display fireflies inside her eyes, I thought.

Being a Cognate gave me a chance to hear her thoughts. Not that she didn't tell me them even without our abilities, but to see inside her mind as well. Her mind was an ethereal place that I quickly identified as loosely based on the human world. With their large, silver buildings with  hundreds of rows and columns of windows. The sun blazed brightly down on everything below, and the sandy beach with rolling teal waves and swaying palm trees (that had leaves suspiciously as silky and golden as Sophie's blonde hair) had sand with a golden brown color to it, similar to Sophie's eye color.

The seashells along the shoreline of the beach glittered with a vibrant teal color. Sophie said it was because they reminded her of my eyes. That was actually how I found out she loved me, when she blushed after I commented on the familiar-looking color and the conversation went from there.

Being a Cognate gave me a chance to spend time with her. To hear her laugh, the way she wheezed uncontrollably when something was especially funny and developed hiccups afterwards. To sort out the sprouts of anger in my mind (that were so frequent it was hard to see why Sophie would ever want to be in there willingly) with her calming words. She always managed to brighten up my head a little whenever she was in it, the effect lingering for a while after she surfaced back to the real world like the way her touch lingered on my lips long after she was gone.

"I think I'm in love with you," I say to Sophie one night as we were drinking tea in the middle of the night at Everglen, with my arms wrapped around her waist and my head nestled into the crook of her neck. I did faintly remember that we were sprawled out in a pale purple pillow fort we made together after hours of labored construction.

"Me too," she whispered to me softly, the words being buried into my dark hair where they would soak into my brain and live there for eternity. A lot of the time I spent with Sophie always blurred in my memory, especially the longer we spent together. It was getting harder and harder each day to remember when she said what, only that she said it. I suppose that was enough.

I didn't realize tears were brimming in my eyes until they fell down my cheeks and onto Sophie's bare shoulder. They weren't sad tears. They weren't happy tears either, really. Just tears. Tears of emotion, more emotion than I thought one human being could ever muster.

"I don't know how I got so lucky," I mumbled into Sophie's shoulder, my breath catching sharply as tears continued to spill. Sophie didn't seem to mind as she only pressed her neck closer to me, even as the slow trickle grew into a flowing waterfall from my glassy teal eyes.

"Oh please," Sophie snorted, making a warm vibration rumble from her neck. "Like you're the lucky one here."

"I am," I assured her confidently, laughing softly into her shoulder. "You're beautiful." I smiled as I felt warmth on my hair from the blood rushing to Sophie's cheeks.

"You are," I told her again. I pulled away from her shoulder to look her in the eyes, as I grinned from ear to ear at Sophie's slightly open mouth and wide eyes. "You always have been."

The fireflies in Sophie's eyes seemed to flicker brighter. "Really?"

I chuckled softly, giving her a quick kiss on the lips and retreating back to the warmth of her neck. "Of course. Why would I lie about that?"

Sophie nuzzled further against my chest, gripping my waist and holding me tightly. "I don't know. But thank you. I think you're kind of handsome too." She giggled.

It was my turn to blush now. "Really?"

"Of course. Why would I lie about that?" she copied, her voice becoming less coherent as a wave of exhaustion hit her and her long eyelashes slowly fluttered closed.

I chuckled again. "Go to sleep, Soph," I said before planting a brief kiss on her cheek and closing her eyes to sleep within her warmth.

________________________________________________________________________________

oh now i'm kind of proud of this oneshot to be honest, good for me i guess