Chapter 1

I stared out the window at a hummingbird staring at a flower under a tree, It looked so free and happy.  "Miss  Caddel." A voice said faintly "MISS CADDEL!" the voice said more urgently, I quickly turned back to the board. 

"Yes, Miss Bentworth." I said innocently

"Nodding off in my class are we?"

"No Miss Bentworth" I replied, Tiffany, Snickered. Miss Bentworth glared right into my eyes as if she was reading my soul.

"Good." She said turning back to the board. Miss Bentworth is my snarky English teacher who hated children. The classroom door opened and the Headmaster poked his head around the doorway.

"Thank God this is the right Class!" he said with relief "Sorry for disturbing you guys but you have a new student!" He said cheerfully pushing a girl to the front of the class. "This Is Valery Blake, She will be joining you and Miss Caddel will show you around." He said shutting the door behind him. There was complete utter silence in the room the new girl stood there blushing in the awkward tension.

"Well sit down then girl." Miss Bentworth said impatiently waving towards the empty chair next to me. Valery rushed down the aisle to sit down, Valery looked at me her green eyes shining like emeralds, she looked terrified. Miss Bentworths voice droned on for what felt like HOURS even if classes only took 45 minutes. Finally and I mean FINALLY the bell rang, Everyone jumped up grabbing their stuff and leaving.  

"What class is next?" A little voice said behind me, I jumped then I remembered that I had to look after the new girl. I turned to face her, she still looked terrified.

"Well, we have a thirty-minute break right now." I said grabbing my bag and getting ready to go.

"C..can I eat with you?" She whispered. I sighed I really didn't want to be sitting with this new girl. 

"Fine." I said turning away "Let's just get to the cafeteria." I mumbled.