Chapter 1

The day was going like it always does: I had just finished lunch and was back in the nurses office with another nosebleed. I watched Miss Tanya, the nurse, quietly typing on the computer.

The taping sound from the keyboard filled the quiet room. Miss Tanya looks up as I throw away a bloody tissue.

"Here, just hold onto this." She says, picking up the tissue box on the desk and holding it out for me.

"Thank you" I reply quietly, taking the tissues from her.

She smile at me, then looks at the other kid that was in the office. She looked pretty bad, she was shaking a lot and really sweaty. She was brought in a few minutes after I came in because of my nosebleed. I think she fainted, but I'm not really sure.

"Don't worry hun, your parents were called and an ambulance is on the way." Miss Tanya tells her with a comforting smile.

I take a tissue out of the box, bunch it up a little, and hold it to my nose. A few minutes later, the girl falls out of her chair and starts violently shaking.

Miss Tanya quickly stands up and rushes over to her, then crouches down next to her.

I set down the box of tissues and throw the one I was using away. I watch the girl, concerned about her but not knowing what I should do.

It seemed like she was having a stroke... or something similar to that. Miss Tanya turns the girl onto her side.

"It's alright, hun. You're going to be okay." She spoke calmly but I could tell she was trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Oliver?" She says, looking up at me.

"Yeah?" I reply, moving my gaze from the girl, to her.

"Can you grab me my stethoscope and a small flashlight?"

I nod in reply and stand up. I quickly  walks behind the desk and start looking for her flashlight and stethoscope, like she asked.

I find the stethoscope pretty fast but I can't find a flashlight.

"Hang on... The ambulance should be here soon. Just hang on." I hear Miss Tanya mutter.

I start looking in the drawers, but I still can't find a flashlight.

"Miss Tanya, where's your flashlight?" I ask, wiping my nose on my shirt sleeve, trying not to get blood on anything.

"In one of the drawers, I thi-" she stops before finishing her sentence.

I look over the desk and see that the girl stopped shaking. I let out a sigh of relief and I'm about to go back to looking for the flashlight when I hear Miss Tanya speaking in a shaky voice.

"S-stay with me... Please, stay with me. Help is coming, just... Just hang on."

"Miss Tanya... Is she-" I stop, seeing the girl sit up and grab, Miss Tanya.

I quickly avert my gaze and start moving away from the desk, and closer to them. Suddenly, I hear Miss Tanya scream.

"Miss Tanya?!" I exclaim, snapping my head back in her direction.

I see the girl... biting Miss Tanya. I try to say something but I can't form words. I can't even move. I'm stuck watching the gruesome scene play out in front of my eyes.

Miss Tanya screams and struggles to get away from the girl. Blood pools onto the ground underneath them, and I can't get myself to look away. I stare in terror as Miss Tanya stops screaming and goes still.

"M-miss Tanya...?" That's all I manage to say.

I feel my eyes start to burn, and a lump building up in my throat. Just then, the girl looks in my direction. She was pale. blood covered the lower half of her face and dripped off of her chin, onto the floor.

She stands up and starts moving closer to me. I slowly back away, keeping my gaze concentrated on her. Taking a deep breath, I slowly look away from her and at Miss Tanya's desk, trying to find something I can use to defend myself.

I spot a letter opener sitting on top of a pile of paper. I grab it and turn back to the girl. She was much closer than before. I could see pieces of flesh stuck in her teeth, and white clouding her eyes.

"Stay back." I say, stepping backwards and holding the letter opener out in front of me, trying to keep my voice steady.

Suddenly, the girl lunges at me. I squeeze my eyes shut and tighten my grip around the letter opener. I know I'm not quick enough to move out of the way in time. I just hope my luck doesn't run out.