Chapter Six

NOTE: This chapter contains explicit, triggering topics. If you are not comfortable with any of the triggers listed at the beginning of this story, this section may not be safe to read. Please go ahead and skip to the next chapter if this may apply to you.

DECEMBER 12, 1997 ; 10:00pm
Last Night

He had been working there for two years, but the ping of bowling pins never ceased to make Des' ears scream at him. Even with the dying down sounds of arcade games and rounds that were coming to a close, Des could not wait to get home. He wouldn't have stayed so long if the job wasn't so close to his house, and if it didn't surprisingly pay so well.

Des' manager had just announced the closing of the bowling alley. Disgruntled families with children who had fallen asleep, groups of teens, and couples who weren't finished with their makeout session were escorted out of the door. The electricity powered down, leaving only the work lights on.

As someone who was in charge of cleaning after the parties that came to play, Des was always the last to leave the building. In order to save money, his manager turned off the cameras overnight. He hadn't decided to do this until he could learn he could trust Des, but something in Des' mind told him to act like they were always on–because if his manager was one thing, it was spontaneous. And he loved spontaneous trust checks.

Being a Thursday, the mess wasn't as bad as it was over the weekend or, even worse, on Fridays. There was clearly a large party at one of the alleys, because there were at least ten plates full of crust and half-eaten pizza. Des shoved the remains in his trash bag. He grabbed his broom and dustpan and started to sweep.

"Hey."

Des practically jumped. He dropped the pieces of pizza onto the ground, his trash can falling with it. He rolled his eyes and turned to the source of the word. Luca Barrett was waving at him, an awkward grin stretched across his lips. His hair was slicked back, and the shirt he was wearing looked exactly like one you would expect to see in a bowling alley. He looked more like an employee than a player. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"So this was what your sister roped you into?"

Luca nodded. "Yep. I didn't know you worked here. I didn't see you."

"You know, it's closing," Des responded, hoping he would take the hint.

"Yeah, it's my sister. She's in the bathroom, she's... having some problems," Luca said, as if to avoid saying the word. "I'm her ride, so I can't really leave without her."

"Ah," responded Des. It was common for customers to find excuses to stay at the alley longer. Periods, throwing up, car trouble, he saw it all the time. He wouldn't be surprised if, in a few minutes, Luca asked for some popcorn "since he's there anyways."

Luca paced and observed the alley surrounding him, even though nothing had changed from the last time he checked. Des did the best he could to avoid Luca's gaze, staring straight at the pile of pizza crumbs acclimating on the floor in front of him. Sure, he considered Luca to be a close acquaintance, not exactly on friendship level yet, but considering that Des was trying to sweep and Luca was tracking dirt when his feet paced the floor, the relationship didn't mean much for Des' annoyance at that moment.

"We have some tampons in the back closet if you need some."

Luca, as if surprised by Des' mention of the "t-word," shook his head and laughed a bit. "No, no, she has one. She's just not feeling good. Probably about to..." Luca threw his hands out to symbolize vomiting. "You know."

Des nodded, eyes still on the pile. He swept it into his dust pan. "I've got trash bags back there too."

"She'll be out in two minutes tops," said Luca. Des had never seen Luca with any hint of nervous energy before, but here he was in front of him, one breath away from sweat dripping down his face. He took a step towards Des. "Need any help?"