TWENTY ONE

"PENNY DO NOT LEAVE ME," Kristen muttered, Penny laughing in response with her nose scrunched, "I gave you the adult advice, go action it into the world!"

"Penny Benjamin," Kristen insisted, a tense, angry whisper spurring from her mouth, "I need you to do the honorary aunty bartender thing and stay right here."

A couple whistles came from a few seats down, so Penny saluted Kristen with a wink as she slowly walked down the bar, "Looks like I got some thirsty customers to get to, honey. Let me know how it goes though!"

"You're so getting demoted," She huffed under her breath taking a large gulp of her drink before Jake had stumbled down to the bar. His eyes were squinted, "You hiding from me Kazansky?"

"If I were hiding you wouldn't be able to see me," She retorted, spinning her chair around to properly look at the boy, "Where's everyone?"

"Dunno," He shrugged as he took a seat, "Hell, I thought I was running late."

"Wish you were," She mumbled under her breath, covering it with a sip of her drink. Jake squinted his eyes, an awkward gulp following afterward, "I take it you and Bradshaw didn't have such a good talk."

"Something like that," Kristen replied, her eyes swaying from her drink to Jake, "Long distance sucks ass, kinda forgot about that whole part."

"The flying doesn't," He argued with a grin, "Can't beat that adrenaline."

"For once in my life it's not feeling like it," Her tone flattened, a sigh leaving her mouth, "But Pen's talked me off a ledge, I gotta suck it up."

"I've never really seen you shaken up like this," Jake admitted, "But I can't tell if you're fishing for compliments or the latter, obviously being weaker than me."

"Well it can't be the latter," She giggled, "Come on now, Frosty doesn't get shaken up. She just needs sleep."

"Wouldn't it be nice if a nap just solved all our problems?" Jake nodded, swiping his hand at her drink for a sip. She dropped her jaw, "I know you didn't just steal my drink."

"Yeah, well your scheming aunty doesn't exactly look like she's heading down here soon," He faked a pout, revelling in the last sip of her drink, "Ah."

"I hope you enjoyed it, it's probably going to be your last drink," Kristen placed a carefully stern sight onto Jake, "Before I kill you, of course."

"Oh thank God, there are worse things."

"Like what?"

Jake sighed, "Being the one to watch people die."

"Way to damper the mood grim reaper," She scoffed, "But hey, I'll let you know in the after life years later if I ever got to see Ice again. You think —"

"Well shit you fuckin' banshee, that's enough death talk for today," Jake gulped, sending the girl a soft nudge as she seemed to sour in an instant, "I'm starting to get worried about you Frostbite."