Remembering Sunday - Steve Harrington

Remembering Sunday - All Time Low

"Hi."

The small sound interrupting the sound of the creeking swing and crickets. The sound of Alex Gaskarth's voice. She looked up to see a teenage boy about her age, then back out into the woods.

"Hey."

"I'm Steve." She nodded, not sparing him another glance as he sat on the swing beside her.

"And you are?"

"Uh, I'm," she paused, listening to Juliet's voice take over. "Sunday." Her lips lifted the tiniest amount at her own answer.

"Well, Sunday, do you always sit out here at two o'clock on Sunday mornings?" He smiled, laughing slightly to himself.

"Occasionally." The boy stayed quiet after that, following her eyes into the woods.

The two didn't speak much else for the next few hours, not until she said a simple "goodbye" and left down the road before the sun could rise.

——

Two days later, she sat on the same swing, looking into the same woods, when the boy returned.

"Sunday." She nodded a response, never looking toward him.

"What brings you out here tonight?" Out of the corner of her eye, she could see him looking at her, waiting for a response. She sighed and looked down to her hands in her lap. She fiddled with a few bracelets on her wrist before looking up at him.

"I could ask you the same, Steve." He smiled lazily and leaned into one of the chains of the swing.

"Nightmares. A little walk helps clear my head, you know?" She nodded.

"Yeah, me too."

"What kind?" She looked at him quizzically.

"What do you mean?"

"Monsters? Aliens? Murders? Spiders?" He kept shooting out options, waiting for her to agree to one.

"People." She finally interjected.

"Friends?"

"My dad." Steve left it at that. He assumed something must have happened to him, but he wasn't going to push.

"And you?"

"And me, what?"

"What nightmares?" He hesitated. He couldn't exactly explain his PTSD with the mind flayer and underground Russians.

"Uh, monsters. And friends." She nodded.

Neither of them spoke again, until she mumbled a simple "goodbye" and left down the road once the sun started to rise.

———

Five days and four midnight conversations later, each with a little more talking than the last, Steve found Sunday sitting on the same swing once again.

"Do you ever sleep?" She shrugged and closed her eyes.

"Do you?" She slowly opened them again, turning to face Steve on the swing next to her.

"I'm not out here every night, like it seems you are. You have to be tired?" She shrugged again, leaving him without a straight answer.

It went quiet for awhile. Both teens looking into the trees, watching them rustle with the wind and whatever animal may have moved through the branches.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen. Graduated last year." Steve smiled from ear to ear.

"Me too! You're not from Hawkins, though, right? I feel like I would recognize you." She shook her head.