So I had a collection of these a while back but I realized I deleted them?? Or they got deleted?? Idk but I'm making a new one !
This oneshot is from ShowMeAHero on archive of our own, and I adore them.

-

Eddie hates the motherfucking subway. Every day, his nine-to-five schedule for his regular nine-to-five job means he’s on the bus and the train at rush hour, packed in like a sardine with all the other sardines in Boston. It’s miserable. His only saving grace is his headphones; he plays music and podcasts to distract himself, but still. Every time someone jostles him, or bumps into him, or even looks at him, he wants to scream.

It’s even worse that it’s still semi-early February, so everybody’s bundled up in hats and coats and gloves and everything. He would be, too, except he couldn’t find his gloves that morning. Instead, he’s holding onto the pole on the subway train, trying not to grimace and reminding himself that he can sanitize his hands with the sanitizer in his bag the second he’s off the train. He’s so focused on telling himself that that he’s barely paying attention when they pull into the station.

He’s staring down hard at his phone, scrolling aimlessly through Facebook without reading anything, when someone bumps into him. Whoever it is grabs the pole, their hands brushing against each other’s.

Right in his ear, the guy says, “Fucking shit, you’re hot.”

Eddie’s head jerks up, startled, and he meets the bright blue eyes of a man at least eight inches taller than him. The guy’s got a pink knit cap tugged down over his head and a spill of curls falling down from it, his glasses fogging up in the warmth of the train car.

“What?” Eddie demands. The guy’s hot, too, but— but people can’t just fucking say that.

“What?” the guy asks. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to—”

“No, I—” Eddie says, as the train jolts to a start again. He trips and stumbles into the guy, who catches him and rights him. His hands are fucking huge, and Eddie’s momentarily distracted by his touch. You’re fucking hot, too, not that strangers can fucking say that to each other—

“Can’t say what?” the guy asks, his brow furrowing. Eddie stares up at him, bewildered, the lights in the tunnel they’re flying through flickering across their faces.

“Did you say something to me?” Eddie asks. He pulls his headphones out, holding the wireless earbuds in his palm. “When you first got on the train?”

“I… said sorry,” the guy offers, hesitant. “Just now? That part?”

“No, the— Before,” Eddie says. The guy just keeps looking down at him like he has two heads. They pull into the next stop, just then, coming to a sudden halt, and they both stumble this time. The guy catches himself on the bar above their heads, his other arm wrapping around Eddie, and Eddie’s brain short-circuits on a loop of fuck, fuck, fuck, he’s so big, he’s so tall—

The guy snorts on a laugh, righting Eddie with a hand on his shoulder. He looks down at him and says, “I’m actually six-foot-four.”

Eddie frowns up at him. “You’re not taller than six-three. Anyways, I don’t care and—” Eddie looks over his shoulder, sees the sign in the station, and his heart leaps into his throat. “—And this is my stop, shit, bye—”

“Wait!” The guy reaches for Eddie, just as Eddie slides through the doors. Their fingertips brush, and Eddie hears him shout, “Is it really you?”

Eddie turns to ask him what he means, but he realizes the man didn’t speak out loud. It was in their heads.

Holy fuck, it was in their heads.