Chapter 1

"Darling?" 

A gloved hand gently brushed against Y/n's back and she turned to face Zhongli. No. 

Morax

"Hi," she softly whispered. "Do you need something?" 

Zhongli sat down next to her. 

"I am...worried about you." 

Y/n sat up and moved to sit next to Zhongli. 

"Worried?" She repeated. "Why?" 

"Your memories, Y/n. They're gone." 

Ah, yes. Memories of her old self. The love Zhongli deeply cherished and yerned for millennia. 

"I don't remember Morina," Y/n admitted. "Or Morien. In fact, I don't remember about our marriage at all, Zhongli..." 

It's been two months since the incident regarding the sea beast attack on Liyue Harbor. Two months since Childe's insane plan. 

"I'm sorry," Y/n mumbled, staring down at her lap. "I-I don't-" 

Zhongli gently pulled her into his lap, embracing her. 

"Hush now, my love. It's not your fault." 

Y/n looped her arms around his neck, embracing him back. 

"What do I need to do to get them back?" She whispered. "What if I don't get them back?" 

"Then we make new memories," Zhongli assured her. "New memories, just you and I. Whether Morina or Morien is with us or not." 

With or without Morina or Morien.

Neither of the twins contacted Zhongli after they had departed from Liyue. With Morien moving to Snezhnaya and Morina to Inazuma with the Traveler and his flying companion, Paimon. 

"What happened with the twins is not your fault," Zhongli assured her. "It is something myself and the twins will deal with later in the future." 

Y/n slowly nodded and rested her head on his shoulder. 

"I...understand." 

Zhongli gently rested his hand on her lower back. 

"It is your choice if you wish to join my journey to find your memories again, Y/n. I plan to visit Mondstatdt to see the Anemo Archon, Barbatos."

"Barbatos?" Y/n repeated, pulling away. "The God of Freedom?"

"Correct. We may be able to find him somewhere in Mondstatdt."

Zhongli sighed. 

Ah, yes. Barbatos, the God of Freedom? More like the God of Childishness. The last time Zhongli's seen Barbatos, it was when Barbatos was teasing Zhongli for being old and not having a lover. The surprise Barbatos will have when he finds out he now has Y/n. 

"I've always wanted to visit Mondstatdt," said Y/n. "I heard Mondstadt is gorgeous." 

Within the next few weeks, Zhongli and Y/n found themselves in the back of a trader's wagon moving for Mondstadt. 

"It'll take a few weeks till we reach Mondstadt!" The trader informed the couple. "Honeymoon, I assume?" 

Y/n jolted, quickly looking over to Zhongli for an answer. 

"It's our anniversary," Zhongli replied, gently lacing his hand with Y/n's. "We decided we'd like to see the world again." 

"Again? By the Maker! You must've traveled quite often!" 

Zhongli lightly chuckled. 

Indeed we have

A few weeks pass by; Zhongli and Y/n finally arrived in Mondstadt. 

"Mondstadt truly is beautiful," Y/n whispered, looking around in awe. 

Zhongli lightly chuckled, watching from where he leaned against a tree. He and Y/n decided to take a small break from traveling further through Mondstadt to admire the scenery. Zhongli watched his beloved sniff the flowers, hold her hands out for butterflies to land, and for the wild animals lurking to get closer to her. 

"Zhongli, look!" Y/n giggled in glee, holding a Boot Weasel in her arms. "Isn't he cute?" 

The Boot Weasel squeaked, wriggling to escape from Y/n's arms, and back to the wilderness. Y/n pouted and sauntered back to Zhongli. 

"Disappointed, love?" Zhongli lightly laughed, gently pulling her into his arms. "They are part of the wilderness, darling." 

"Yeah, but it was cute like me," she mumbled in disappointment. 

Eventually, both Zhongli and Y/n finally reached the City of Freedom. Soft music greeted the couple, a few felines running past, and a few children chasing them with giggles. As the couple got closer to the middle, they were met with other couples, dancing along to the music playing. 

"May I?" 

Y/n blinked at Zhongli's outstretched hand and looked back at him. 

"You....want to dance?" 

"Of course," said Zhongli, lacing his hand with hers. "Why wouldn't I? This could be a chance to know each other again." 

He raised her hand to his lips and gently kissed her knuckles. Then, he brought her to the center. With one hand on her waist and the other holding her free hand, Zhongli started to sway along to the music. 

"This....feels familiar," Y/n softly murmured. "I....feel like we've done this before." 

Perhaps. Perhaps not. As Morax, no. He didn't have the time to find a lover to dance to music, Guizhong perhaps, but even then; she wasn't his lover at the time. However, from the memories of Zhongli, yes. He and his beloved and childhood lover, Y/n, had indeed danced during the festivities of Liyue. 

"You know of my past life as....an Archon," Zhongli carefully murmured to Y/n. "Before, yes. Zhongli has danced with you before, as young as children even. Then, you and Zhongli proceed to fall deeper and deeper in love. At the young age of 20 and 21, you married." 

"And when did you reincarnate?" She whispered. 

Zhongli gently twirled her out, then gently brought her back into his grasp, her head gently pressed against his shoulder. 

"Not long after your second anniversary," Zhongli whispered into her ear. "And within months, I too fell in love."

Zhongli slowly came to a stop, allowing the other couples to circle around them.

"And I still do love you," Zhongli murmured to Y/n, slowly pulling away from her. "So, so deeply in love with you."

He cupped her cheeks, thumbs gently rubbing the apples of them. 

"You see why I am truly so desperate to restore your memories, Y/n?" 

Y/n slowly pulled away from Zhongli surprising him. 

"Then why haven't you moved on?" She asked. "Why me?" 

Zhongli gently caught her wrist and brought her back to his embrace. 

"Because you, darling? I can't just let go."