The Source and the Sink

Craig, J.P., and Kelsey lay sprawled out in front of the stump, hands intertwined and facing the sky. Each with a leaf resting on their faces, their senses are flooded by the scent of damp plants.

Craig attempts to leave his leaf undisturbed as he speaks. "Okay, the idea is we've gotta blow the leaf to the next person's face and increasingly get faster and faster. If we break the circle to move and blow the leaf, we lose. Got it?"

Kelsey beams with a righteous grin. "Got it!"

"Oh, that's what we're doin'? I thought that this was some kinda meditation session where we align our hearts and breaths with the spirit of Fall," J.P. says, the leaf bouncing along his lips.

A look of determination spreads across his face as Craig revs up for the trial ahead. "Ready... Set—!"

But Kelsey just can't contain her excitement. "READYSETGO!"

Each of the kids huff in the greatest breath they could muster before finally letting it loose onto the faces of the leaves. They watch as the blurs of red and orange spread their wings and fly, dancing along the clouds above. The trio tilts and turns to predict where the leaves will fall, urging nature to bend to their whims.

Their struggle ends as the leaves float nearly a foot away from the circle, and a beat of contemplative silence passes through the creek.

J.P. clears his throat. "So... you guys still up for that meditation sesh?"

Suddenly, a slight rustling interrupts the quiet, catching Kelsey's attention first and foremost. Her senses sharpen as she leaps into action, PVC sword drawn and on guard.

"An intruder?" she hisses lowly. "State your name and business!"

The rustling quickly halts in response, and a figure rises from the shrubs ahead. A short, frilly skirt and long white gloves emerge from the leaves, but the rest of the stranger's appearance is shrouded by the shade.

J.P. sits up with a gasp. "It's gotta be a ghost! Why else aren't they talking and wearing unreasonable clothing in a modern Fall setting?"

Craig rises last, squinting to get a better look. "It could be Sparkle Cadet, but... She normally has a bright pink colored outfit, not a plain black and white one."

You roll your eyes before finally stepping forward. "It was the cheapest thing I could find on Amazin, Craig, no need to judge."

The three kids all take the time to absorb your appearance: the shiny satin gloves, the various frills and puffy fabrics littering your form, a sweet ruffled headband atop your head. Their staring has you rubbing the back of your neck; whether from bashfulness or to stave off the cold, you're not sure.

"Whoa, nice get up!" Craig says with beaming admiration.

"How fast does Amazin ship again? Do they take leaves as payment?" J.P. asks, picking up a stray leaf.

Kelsey kneels before you, sword planted into the ground while holding a hand to her heart. "Great servant..." she begins, "Have you found yourself lost? Do you require assistance in returning to your lord?"

You lay the back of your hand atop your forehead, dramatically looking to sky. "Alas, great knight, I am no servant and have no lord. My form has been transfigured due to... a wretched curse."

The kids gasp, J.P. fainting to the ground with a thump. The girl shuffles forward and takes your hand into hers. She stares up into your eyes with a look of sorrow, and you get down on one knee to save the toll on her neck.

"But... Who could've done this? Why?" Kelsey inquires, a shakiness within her tone.

You avert your gaze. "I'm afraid that mine own hubris is to blame... I lost... a bet."