ch. 6

__________

Before
______

[ TRIGGER WARNING: ACTIVE SHOOTER/SHOOTING]

             "God damnit Klaus give me my jacket" Ben chased Klaus around his room, his arm high in the air with Ben's copyrighted leather jacket clutched in his hand.

Klaus giggled as Ben swooped at him over and over. "GIVE IT TO ME" He yelled, throwing his arm out and trying to grab onto Klaus. Unsuccessful again.

...

I walked down the long hall of the academy. My boots clacking against the wood floor with every step, some of the floor boards creaking as I hit them. I stopped before Klaus's room, the door was open. Running footsteps and bickering came from the room making me roll my eyes.

I stepped in front of the door and I found Ben chasing around and clawing at a snickering Klaus who was running around with his jacket high in the air. A laugh escaped me as the scene played out. I crossed my arms and leaned on the doorframe. They both froze and looked over to the doorway.

Ben's eyes stuck to me, before they darted back to Klaus. He gave Klaus a look and shoved his shoulders, making him stumble forward. "Ow!''
Klaus whined, falling over and onto the chair in the corner. Ben walked over to him and aggressively snatched the jacket from his hands.

"Hi" I stated, a smile fell on my face. "Hi" Ben reciprocated flatly and out of breath. "Ready?" I asked, pushing myself off the doorframe. He nodded, breathing heavily and walking past Klaus who was still whimpering in the corner.

"Yeah" Ben nodded, making his way past me now and walking into the hallway. "Cool" I smiled, turning around and picking up my pace to catch up with him. I bumped into his shoulder as I caught up and looked over at him.

"So, I thought we could go to this bookstore I really wanted to go to" I looked over at him as we walked down the stairs and into the open space on the ground floor. Ben nodded, steering me to the front doors and opening them, letting me walk through. "Why thank you" I joked, hurrying through the doors.

Ben trailed after me as we got to the gate, the umbrella symbol front and center. Suddenly the door opened again, and a man cleared his throat. I jumped, turning around. God fucking damnit..

"Where do you think your going number six?" Reginald asked, standing at the top of the porch stairs. Ben's eyes fell to the floor. "Oh uh.. I'm taking him to a bookstore, I heard there were books for Latin there.. I thought I'd get one for him since I stole his" I smiled weakly.

His face didn't change as he coldly examined my face. Ben shifted his weight to his other leg and brought his eyes to the side. The silence was fucking ear splitting and I couldn't help but break the eye contact. Then suddenly,, CRASH. Reginald straightened his back and snapped his head back to the door.

From inside I could hear Klaus giggling. I love that little shit, always fucking stuff up so we can sneak out. Reginald bolted inside and I quickly looked over to Ben. "Right, time to go" I whispered and his head perked up. "What?" ..I smiled at his idiocy and grabbed his wrist, turning around "You still haven't caught on yet?" I raised an eyebrow before yanking him along with me as I bolted down the street.

"OH MY GOD'' He yelled as he almost tripped over his own feet trying to keep up. We ran, weaving around people. My legs numb but also carrying me faster than I ever have before. The food stands and shops whizzing past us.