Ch. 1/1

"Y/N? What's going on? Are you hurt?"

Xiao rushed over to you as soon as he saw you, curled into a ball in the corner of your room in Wangshu Inn.
You thought you wouldn't be seen like this in front of anyone- as soon as your body started moving without your permission, you'd texted to make sure that none of your friends would pay a surprise visit to your room like they often did, and you'd initially assumed that Xiao finding you was completely out of the realm of possibility, given the fact that he was supposed to be out conquering demons at this time.
You looked up towards the source of his voice, flinching when he came near you.

"X-xiao? Why are you here..?"

"I have completed my duties earlier than expected. Y/N, is everything okay?" he looked concerned, his eyebrows furrowed in worry and his amber eyes scanning your body for any kind of injury that could have you crying like this.

"Yeah, e-everything's fine, I just feel a little off, that's all."

You wanted to scrub the tears running down your cheeks away, but you couldn't. Suddenly your body tensed up and your arms began to shake uncontrollably. They did indeed go up to your face but continued trembling, it was so bad that you had started to hit yourself not-so-lightly on your head.
Xiao sat down in front of you and brought his hands to your wrists, gently stopping you from inflicting any damage onto yourself. Soon after, your arms relaxed and you slumped, exhaustion evident in your features.
"Y/N..." He didn't have to voice his question for you to understand what he was asking.

"I'm okay, just.. overstimulated at the moment.. ah, it's really nothing. I don't want to bother you- you must be busy."

"I already told you, my duties have been completed for today. You do not need to worry about being a burden to me."

You blew out a shaky breath, avoiding eye contact.
"Geez, how embarrassing.. Stimming in front of my boyfriend." You said, now scrubbing away the tears that had previously been rolling down your cheeks with the back of your hand.

"Stimming? What is that? Is it some sort of illness?" Xiao sounded like a worried parent, and you smiled weakly at that thought.

"It's just a symptom of autism and other mental disabilities, nothing bad, it's just a little overwhelming." You we're desperate to downplay what Xiao thinks is a severe situation.

"We promised we would help each other with the ailments of our conditions. Confide in me. Please."
Your heart softened at his words, and at the same time it was like a dam broke within you. Tears began to flow freely down your face again as you leaned forward, wrapping your arms around Xiao's waist and talking into the crook of his neck.

"I... I just hate it so much. I hate that my body is moving when i don't want it to... the doctors say it's a healthy way of expressing extreme emotions but my extreme emotions make it feel so much worse a-and I just don't get how i'm supposed to feel better when I don't have any control over my body," you hiccuped.

Xiao was stunned at first. Then, as he listened to your troubles he found his arms enveloping you in a hug as well and his thumb rubbing comforting circles on your back while his other hand found itself on the back of your head, softly petting your slightly ruffled hair.

"I see. I understand how hard it may be, Y/N, and the fact that you were able to mask this for such a long time makes you one of the strongest beings I've been fortuitous enough to get close to. You're brave in the way you deal with this burden and I have no doubts that you can get through whatever it throws at you. You're strong. Remember that."
To emphasize his point, the yaksha lifted his head and brought his lips to the top of your own head, pressing them against it in a gentle kiss.

The whole thing made you sob even harder, and you tensed up yet again, your arms trembling as you squeezed Xiao tighter. Xiao seemed to understand what was happening and kept repeating his gestures, whispering sweet nothings into your ear.

"That's it. Just let it all out. I am here for you, and there will never come a time when I won't be. I love you, Y/N. More than anything."

Xiao didn't need a verbal answer from you to know that you loved him just as much. As a matter of fact, the way that you were able to relax more in his arms told him all he needed to know.