~The Paranormal P2 (Fedex)~

✩Dex's POV✩

"This is your room," Fitz said in a polite, welcoming tone as he set my luggage down next to my bed. The immaculately clean room was painted with pristine gray walls and an extraordinary view from a balcony overlooking a cliff. Downwards, the only sight to see was salty ocean waves and a gray-blue sky, bordered by coastal forests on the sides. It was only natural that the Vackers would be generous enough to give their guests such grand rooms, although, I wouldn't have been surprised if all of their rooms simply looked as magnificent as this, and if not, they would be even grander.

I anxiously looked up at the crystal chandelier above, careful not to look into the bright light long enough to burn my eyes. "I suddenly have a feeling that thing is going to fall down on us."

Fitz laughed. His laugh was sort of bubbly: in a way that kind of reminded me of opening a can of soda. It was pleasant, but in a way that made me want to grimace.

"I actually got caught in one once," he admitted sheepishly. I raised my eyebrows at him, and forgot that I was talking to a Vacker long enough to bask in his company.

"How did you manage that?" I said with a teasing grin. Fitz smiled at me, bringing me back to my senses enough to wipe my grin off of my lips. Fitz's smile faltered.

"Are you okay?" he asked with genuine concern. I forced my smile back on, because I liked to believe that I could put up with some snotty rich kid for two days without pulling my hair out.

He didn't act that snotty, I knew, but I was feeling a little too proud to admit that to myself.

"I'm fine," I reassured him, and I mentally pumped my hand up in victory as his smile returned to his face. "Just...not used to places like this."

Fitz shrugged. "You'll get used to it. Everyone does. Unfortunately, this is actually the least...flashy room we have."

Why am I not surprised?

Fitz blinked at me twice before the horror of my words settled into my brain. I said that out loud, didn't I? My mortification sizzled down when he released another laugh.

"Do you really think that bad of us?" he asked me teasingly. I turned away, slightly flustered.

"Maybe," I answered vaguely. Fitz laughed again. His teal eyes fell on me for a moment, studying my expression, perhaps studying the stupid look on my face.

"You know, if you're wondering if we're as bad as you think we are, the answer is yes," Fitz told me, catching me off guard. "Hopefully you think I'm okay, though."

Was I that transparent?!

"I'm sorry," was all I could think to say. For some reason, the thought of Fitz thinking I was the guy who hated him and his whole family made me...uncomfortable.

"Don't be." Fitz turned around, looking out at the rolling waves below. "We don't get a lot of people like you. The kind of people who don't automatically assume someone is to be liked just because of their wealth. I honestly don't mind your kind. In fact, I prefer it."

"Why? Why would you want someone to not like you?" I rebutted, folding my arms across my chest.

"Do you like me?"

I opened my mouth only to choke on my words. Fitz only smiled gently. I eventually, able to speak, said, "I guess so."

"I hope that answers your question, then," Fitz told me, flashing me one of his camera-worthy grins before opening the door to my door.

"See you at dinner," Fitz told me, before the door shut closed and I was left alone to ponder over the words of some boy I just met.

***