How it all began

Evie's Notes: Hi Friends! I had this little plot bunny bugging me for a while, so I thought I would type it up. I can't promise frequent updates given that most of my focus is on Scent of Lavender, but I hope you enjoy the beginning of this story!

--------------------------------------------

Vera has always loved the rain. Listening to the pitter patter of the rain drops against the attic window of her latest half-way house, reminded her that life was full of change. Pulling up a loose floorboard, Vera fished out the beige bag she had stashed there after returning home from work the previous evening. Opening the bag, Vera double checked that the pewter candlesticks, patterned silverware, 3 pocketbooks, assorted rings and watches she had lifted over the past week were still there. Satisfied that the other girls hadn't gotten their sticky fingers on her stuff, Vera tied up the bag and crept sneakily down the stairs. When she reached the third step from the bottom Vera carefully shifted her weight to the side, stepping only on the left side of the step to avoid the creak. When her case worker, Aiden, had first brought her to stay with Alana and Thomas the first thing Vera did was map the layout of the house and all possible escape routes.

Stepping out into the night, Vera hurriedly dashed through the raindrops down the alley towards the nearest bus stop. Ducking under the overhang, Vera shook the rain off her hair to the best of her ability. The ticking of her watch revealed that she should not have to wait long for the next bus.

She had only waited for about five minutes when she was joined by a tall blonde man dressed in expensive black clothing. Scanning the man out of the corner of her eye vera weighed the pros and cons of making this man a mark. Sure she had several different items already to offer Jasper at the Pawn Shop, but another fancy watch wouldn't hurt... plus this man just reeked of wealth!

Slipping out a cigarette from her purse, Vera carefully approached the man. "Hey mister, Sorry to bother you, but do you have a light?"

"No" replied the man disinterestedly.

"Oh, are you sure sir?" Vera asked again, pressing closer to the man.

"Yes, I am quite sure. Please step back young lady" snapped the man, his icy blue eyes filling with distaste.

"Sorry mister" apologized Vera, turning like she was going to go back to her previous spot only to "trip" and fall towards the man flailing wildly.

"Oh, for Ra's sake," snapped the man, helping Vera regain her balance. Luckily for Vera he was so distracted in righting her, that he missed her snatching his large silver pocket watch and wallet from his jacket pocket.

Rocking back on her heels, Vera slipped the items into the special pocket she had sewn into her dress to hold her pilfered items. "Thank you so much sir! I am so sorry for bothering you!" she rambled, hiding her grin as the headlights of her bus cut through the gloom.

Striding out from under the awning Vera hailed the bus and stepped on board, dropping her fare with the driver on her way. As the bus pulled away from the curb, Vera noted the man start frantically checking his pockets, clearly realizing he was now short his wallet and watch. Smirking victoriously, Vera leaned back against her seat as the bus rolled along the dark streets, the headlights dancing between the raindrops.

---------------------------------------------

The cheerful ding of the bell hanging over the door marked Vera's arrival to Ade's Adventures. "Jasper, are you here?"

"Just a moment" shouted a voice from the back room.

Placing her heavy satchel on the counter, Vera took the moment of peace to center herself and prepare for the upcoming negotiations. She really had to walk away with a win today, she only had three weeks left till she turned twenty four, completed her parole, and was allowed back out on the streets.

"Sorry for the wait" apologized a young dark skinned man, as he pushed aside the curtains hiding the backroom from the shop. "Oh Vera! How lovely to see you. What have you brought me today?"

"Just a few bits and bobs, though I do think I have a piece you will love"

Opening the bag, Jasper began to go through the items Vera had pilfered and assessed them. "All right, I'll give you eighty two pounds for the lot" offered the shop keep.

Vera scoffed disbelievingly, "No deal. Did you see those candlesticks? Solid pewter, that bag is worth two hundred and sixty five pounds".

"Two sixty five? Are you trying to rob me blind!! I can maybe do two twenty four"

"Deal" agreed Vera, accepting the notes from the shop assistant.

"Always a pleasure doing business with you, Vera" grumped Jasper.

"I know!" sassed back Vera. "Now, I do have a very special piece you might be interested in". Placing the silver watch she had taken off the man an hour earlier on the counter. "This piece is truly spectacular! I mean look at those etchings!"

"They are easily recognised and thereby easily traced. I tend to overlook most of your stolen goods since they are unrecognizable enough... but this has a family name on it!"

"Oh please, I am sure there are plenty of 'Zeno' families in England. If you're that stressed about it just have Javier sand it off before you fence it" scoffed Vera.

"Fine, I'll give you two hundred and ninety pounds now, and will give you the rest later" sighed Jasper regretfully. His desire for the money such a piece would fetch out weighing his common sense.

"Perfect! See you next week Mr. Choudhary"

Smirking in victory, Vera cockily waved goodbye to the shopkeeper as she exited the store hoping to get home before she was missed.

--------------------------------------------

Evie's Notes 2: Thank you all so much for reading 💕! I love hearing from y'all! Let me know what you think of the chapter and the story as a whole in the comments or my Tumblr House-of-Secrets! Have a great week and stay safe! - Xo Evie🌺