Sustainable Fashion Transformation: Recycle and Reuse

Currently, the fashion industry is responsible for a significant amount of CO2 emissions into the atmosphere; approximately 10% of all human carbon emissions. According to the World Economic Forum, the textile industry is also the world's second-largest consumer of water.

Furthermore, each year, 85 percent of all textiles are discarded. Total apparel consumption is expected to rise from 62 million tonnes in 2015 to 102 million tonnes by 2030, causing increased environmental stress, risks, and financial concerns. With current production and end-of-life solid waste rates, the industry will generate an additional 57 million tonnes of waste per year, reaching 148 million tonnes by 2030.

A sustainable business model

The traditional business model adopted by the major international fashion retailers is based on fast fashion, which implies mass production, variety, agility, and affordability. In contrast to fast fashion, a new trend is gaining traction. It promotes environmentally conscious business practices with an emphasis on quality over quantity, encouraging consumers to buy fewer, higher-quality items less frequently so that the garment is seen as a wise investment. Sustainable fashion includes sustainable production, fair wages, and extending the lifespan of clothing through the reuse, and recycling of materials.

Here are some simple ways to incorporate recycling, reusing, and repurposing into your lifestyle.

Part ways with your 'never worn' clothes before you shop.

When was the last time you took a note of the clothes in your closet that you no longer wear? If it's been a while, go through your closet to see if you really need anything new the next time you want to buy something or check out the latest sale. A quick tip for those who have piles of clothes to sort through: sort your wardrobe by "most worn," "rarely worn," and "never worn" clothes. The simplest way to clean your closet is to start by getting rid of "never worn" clothes. Donate them to non-profits or organizations that recycle clothing.

Choose eco-friendly brands.

Check out secondhand clothing stores or resale sites before making a purchase. As a first option, avoid buying clothes from high-street fashion labels. This will not only save you money but will also assist you in saying no to fast fashion. You can stop buying from high-street retail outlets. It is a deliberate decision that you can make when you consider how much waste these fast fashion brands promote. You can also do research on the brands you buy from and spend your money only on those that follow ethical practices.

 You can also do research on the brands you buy from and spend your money only on those that follow ethical practices

Reuse and upcycle.

If you dislike donating your clothes, look for ways to reuse them. There are several videos online that show how to turn your ripped jeans into a cool bag or how to reuse an old tee that has faded. "Reuse old clothes, mend them, or turn them into something new." It may appear tedious at first, but once you get started, you will notice that you end up buying fewer things. Do not buy based on trends. In fact, you should copy the style and recreate it from something you already own.

Tips to keep in mind while shopping

Do not buy something just because it is cheap.

Look out for brands where you can exchange your old clothes.

Research for brands that follow ethical practices.

Opt for organic fabrics

Make a list of what you need to buy, and stick to it