A Shadow From The Past

The electric watch on the nightstand was flashing at 4:44 am

The electric watch on the nightstand was flashing at 4:44 am. A startling noise woke me up. A cold air filled the room. My chest tightened as I inhaled quickly and jumped out of the bed. I looked around me frantically, the sound of the howling wind echoed in my room. In the darkness, I walked to the source of the cold. The window was broken. Someone, once again, broke my window. A cold chill covered my whole body as my heart thumbed so hard against my chest. A small scream escaped me as I walked toward the door.

Suddenly my door opened with a thud and I screamed louder this time, my feet tripping over something on the floor and I fell to the ground.

"Faith!" a familiar voice called my name, "Are you alright? What's going on?"

The light in my room was switched on. I could see my sister standing by the door. The moment she saw me on the floor, she reached out to me with concern evident in her eyes.

"Ayla!" I managed to call her name with my lips shivering. Tears fell down my cheeks as I reached my hands to her searching for safety.

"Shhh! I am here. I am with you." Ayla said, trying to calm me down. But, I cried harder as she pulled me into her embrace. Her fingers moved over my hair in a soothing movement.

"Faith, we need to call the police. Things are going out of hand." She said to me as her eyes were glued to the broken window.

I managed to nod. Indeed, things were going out of hand. At first, I thought that maybe some kids were playing when the window in our living room was broken during one afternoon. Then, weird things started to happen and they were becoming more frequent and more ominous.

The police were at the house in a few minutes. Ayla helped me move out of my room to the living room down stairs. There were police officers in my room checking the damage and others outside by my room's window collecting evidence. A detective introduced himself to us, the moment he joined the rest of the officers.

"Hello! My name is detective James Miller."

"Nice to meet you, detective." Ayla extended her hand to the detective, "I am Ayla, and this is my sister Faith."

Detective James nodded and shook her hand, "So, this is not the first time that this is happening?"

"No, it 's not the first time. It happened a couple of times before and we didn't call the police because Faith thought that it must be some kids playing, but two days ago she found a note tucked under her car's windshield wiper. And now this! Someone just threw a rock at her window."

"What was in the note?" The detective asked, "And, can you please hand it to me to submit it for forensic analysis?"

"Sure, I'll bring it." Ayla said

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the king's horses and all the king's men. Couldn't put Humpty together again." I said

"Excuse me!" Detective James asked me in confusion