prologue: one and only

this was the night he spent awake.
the image of her plagued his mind, her irresistible, smooth and crunchy crust almost intoxicating.
she was perfectly baked, unlike him; a crumbling and stale white bread.
but still, he kept his hopes up, rehearsing his lines to perfection.

this was the morning he smoothened his eyebags.
to win her over he had to look the part;
for her he'd gladly change. the face mask stuck cold and uncomfortable on his stale and crumbly face, but after all, for everything, small sacrifices have to be made.

this was the day he stopped at the flower shop.
would she be picky? maybe not that one? he didn't know, and the shopkeeper didn't either. taking his time browsing through the flowers seemed to annoy the cashier and other customers alike.

this was the evening he would confess.
sitting on the porch, staring off into the sunset. on the table sat the flowers, kept in water. he almost forgot his plans, was it not for his love sitting at his side.

this was the night he got rejected.
she looked into his eyes with pure pity, sending a strike right through his chest. his jaw hung slack, speechless as she tried to explain the situation of her and his best friend, the multigrain bread.

[it's 4 in the morning why am I writing a romantic drama about bread]