"it was always you, will."

It had been a month since Eleven had died. She died in the most courageous way a person could; sacrificing herself in order to save the people who she loved most in the world.
     Mike sat on the riverbank, staring into the still water with a blank, expressionless face. He wasn't quite sure how to take all of this, his first love was dead. Gone. Forever. And what made it worse is that he knew he could have prevented it from happening. He could have sacrificed himself instead, but no, he chose no be a baby and let El die instead.
     Just then he heard the rustling of leaves in the woods behind his back.
     "Who's there?" he asked, half of him nervous, the other half unfazed. A part of him believed he would be better off dead. He wasn't sure who to expect, but he sure as hell didn't expect to see Will standing only a few feet in front of him.
     "Hey. Thought I might be able to find you here," he said, slowly walking over to Mike. "Can we talk?"
     Mike nodded and motioned to the empty spot beside him. He did need someone to talk to. And Will was the easiest person to let out your feelings to.
     "How are you doing?" Will asked, quietly sitting down beside Mike. "I haven't seen you in forever."
     Mike shook his head, tears swelling up in his eyes. There was so much, too much, he needed to say.
      "I'm... fine, I guess. I just don't know what to think of it all. It's unreal."
     "Yeah. I'm so, so, sorry."
     "Will..." Mike started, staring at him, "Are you serious? You're probably as miserable as I am. I should be the one saying sorry to you. She was your sister. Your. Fucking. Sister. What's a girlfriend at this point? How are you?"
     "Yeah. You're right. I'm okay. Like you said... it's surreal."
     They stared together in silence at the clear, dark water for a long time. The full moon above them illuminated them with its soft glow.
     "I guess... I can't really be too sad," Mike blurted, "can I?"
     Will stared at him in disbelief.
     "What are you talking about? You loved her, Mike. And you still do. Of course you're sad."
     "Well no shit, I'm devastated. I just mean... I didn't love her. Not entirely anyways."
     "Mike I... what?"
     Mike let out a deep sign, about to spill the secrets kept within him for years.
     "I did love her, at some point. When you were missing, she and I just... clicked. But more recently, a while after we found you, I realized there was... someone else I liked better. Someone else I wanted to devote my time to. To make out with, to go to stupid winter balls with."
     Will let it all sink in. He was so confused. He thought they had such a strong love between them.
     "I know what you're thinking," Mike continued, "Why did I lie to her, and to you guys? But I didn't lie. I love her, Will. And I always will. Just not in a romantic way. She will always be special to me. She will always be my first love. That will never change."
     "Mike..." Will said, "Who is it?"
     Mike stayed silent.
     "Heather? Aubrey? Tina? Oh... it's for sure Eleanor, isn't it? I knew it all along-"
     "No, Will," he cut him off, "it's not Eleanor. I've... known this person for most of my life."
     Will thought for a moment.
     "I know... Max? I thought maybe, but I-"
     Mike laughed, shaking his head.
     "Bold of you to assume it's a girl, Will the Wise."
     Wills mouth opened slightly. Wait... Mike was gay? No, this can't be...
     "Lucas? Dustin? Probably Dustin, he-"
     "You dumbass," Mike laughed softly again, "it's you."
     Will gaped at him.
     "It was always you, Will."
      In that moment, Mike leaned over to Will, grabbing his head and tilting it towards his. They leaned into each other until their lips were pushing against the others. They kissed. The kiss Will had been waiting his life for. His kiss with Mike Wheeler.
     They kissed for what seemed like hours. Mike rolled on top of Will, forcing his lips between Will's, using as much of his breath as possible to keep this moment alive. Neither of them could pull away. They kept coming back for more. They could stay here forever, kissing until the sun-
     "Umm, what the fuck?"
     Max's voice rang out through the trees, watching the scene below her unfold.
      "Lucas, get your ass over here now."
     Mike and Will broke apart for a second, smiled at each other and then continued. Max and Lucas couldn't ruin this moment they've been waiting their whole life for.
     Lucas ran to catch up to Max, staring with her, gaping.
     "Holy shit."
     They both stared, their mouths open.
     "I knew it!" Lucas cheered, maybe a bit too loudly, "Mike Wheeler and Will Byers? How is it not perfect?! Aww, we can call them Byler!"
    "Eww. Gross. No." Max gagged. She rolled her eyes, but secretly, she, too, knew they were perfect for each other.
      "Cmon. Let's give them... space."
      Mike and Will stayed together, on the riverbank together, until sunrise.

song of the story:
Me and Michael - MGMT