1. Once upon a dream

The first thing that Jenna felt when she woke up was her grandfather's hand tenderly holding hers. She had dreamed of walking with him in his vineyard every day for the last year and waking up to find him holding her hand was like stepping out of a dream.
The next thing that she felt as she opened her eyes was that his hands were wet.
She looked down, finding the top of his messy hair as he rested his forehead against his hands tenderly holding her hand.
He was crying and making both of their hands damp from his tears.
Jenna found that she couldn't speak. She didn't know why but the only thing that she had full control over was her eyes.
She cried too simply from seeing her grandfather crying in front of her. Large tears broke free from the corners of her frosty green eyes and rolled down her cheeks, creating tiny rivers that slowly began to wet the white hospital sheets tucked under her chin.
She heard a commotion to the side of the room and swept her gaze over to find her mother and father slowly entering to stand beside the bed where Jenna was laying. They both had their eyes locked on her grandfather and Jenna could only read sorrow and heartbreak in their eyes.
They looked so much older than the last time that she had seen them.
A memory faintly stirred inside her head, something about her listening to the radio with her mother while they both worked on their own projects.
Something about muddy hands and planting grapes...
Her mother slowly reached out her hand to rest it on her father's shoulder.
"Dad. We need to talk." was all she said before her face seemed to break like a shattered teacup. Her mother quickly turned and pressed her face and self against her father's chest, unable to get the rest of the words that she wanted to say out.
The room felt so full of pain and suffering that Jenna couldn't help but begin to cry again.
Why couldn't she move her body?
She wanted so desperately to sit up and hug her mother.
As her eyes filled with tears, she could barely make out her grandfather's head as it slowly rose so that he could look at his daughter and his son-in-law.
"I was told that you were coming." Her grandfather said softly.
"But I was also told that Jenna would be getting better." He said before Jenna's father spoke.
"You need to stop hurting your daughter and yourself by bringing up that delusional story. Enough is enough!" Her father said as he stroked my mother's back with his hands.
"But... I was promised..."
"You were lied to by some stranger in the park Lorenzo, just look at your granddaughter... oh my God!"
The room hushed as her father's eyes finally fell upon the crying Jenna for the first time. He could see her eyes rapidly and desperately looking between the three parent figures in the room.
He could see the tears and the little patch of wetness on her sheet.
Grandfather's red-rimmed eyes turned to gaze at his granddaughter as well. He began to breathe irregularly as he tried to contain the emotions inside his heart and chest, failing at this, he tried to reach out to grasp at his daughter's hip to get her attention.
Both grandfather and father physically turned Jenna's mother until her eyes too fell on her daughter's tear-streaked face.
A sob was torn from her throat as she rushed to her daughter's side to scoop up her other hand as she watched her daughter follow her with her eyes.
"I missed you so much, my little angel!" She cried as she kissed Jenna's hand over and over again.
"It's a miracle." Jenna's father uttered as he closed his eyes and tilted his head up to the ceiling.
Saying a quiet thanks.

---

The next few days flew by for Jenna as she watched her world change around her. Her parents, for some reason, were talked into taking her home from the hospital even though she was still unable to do anything with her body besides observing the world through her pretty green eyes.
Instead of returning to her small rebuilt home that her father and mother had purchased when she was a baby, they all moved to a large ranch just outside of Boise.
Yes, all of them including her grandfather.
This event greatly cheered Jenna up as she observed her mother and father's face as they explored their new living arrangements together with a beaming grandfather.
It was like watching her parents become children at Christmas again.
The ranch estate was large and sat atop a hilly region with a view overlooking the capital of Idaho. For as far as Jenna could see through her large bedroom windows, she had an amazing view of the cityscape and the mountains in the distance.
It was lovely.
"I just wish I could be a part of this family again." Jenna wished to herself as she watched the family and world move around her.
It wasn't until the next night that her wish finally came true.