A monsoon soaked melody

" ..... Dha Ga Pa ma re Sa Dha ni re Sa" the last notes of the raag floated in the air and faded away. Jalal sat there for a moment more with his eyes closed, letting the effect of the melodious song sink in. He was on the upper floor of his khwabgah and had been listening to Tansen's morning recital.

"He is an excellent musician and a gifted singer. The Almighty gave him such a brilliant voice that delights everyone" he thought. "We are fortunate to have him in our court." He got up to go to the diwaan-e-khas for the daily hearings. Despite the early morning, it was already very hot and the first grey clouds were gathering. He longed for the monsoon rains that would cool the air at least for a little while. He sighed and descended the steps.

In front of the building, some of his court musicians stood and put their heads together. He bowed his head in greeting and continued to the anup talao in the middle of which, on the platform, Tansen carefully wrapped his rabab in a soft cloth.

"Subha bakhair, Tansen sahab. Your presentation was excellent. We enjoyed the raag immensely. Here take this." Jalal pulled a magnificent ring with a large gemstone from his finger and held it out to the musician

"Dhanyavaad shahenshah! I am glad you liked my music." He bowed slightly.

"Always, Tansen sahab! You are unique. Come to diwaan-e-khas."

"Did you see that? Again he has been bestowed by His Majesty! When was the last time we got a grant?" one of the court musicians asked cynically.

"This cannot go on! His Majesty eyes and ears only last on Tansen! What about us?"

"You're right. His Majesty apparently doesn't want to hear our art anymore."

"It's always Tansen! We have to do something!"

"You're right! Listen! I have an idea! We'll beat him with his own weapons!"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, his own music will bring him down!" he looked round seeking approval.

"Bring him down?" "With his music?" the others exclaimed, staring at him in disbelief.

"Well, we all know Raag Deepak!" They all nodded in agreement.

"To sing it, you have to have a very well trained voice!" interjected a tabla player reverently.

"Ji! And Tansen will sing it!"

"So what? We know he can sing!" Another retorted.

"It is believed that Raag Deepak is meant to evoke the mood of intimacy between lovers and if someone perfectly sings Raag Deepak then it makes his surroundings so hot that a fire starts and burns the singer to ashes!"

"You are right!" Slowly the musicians began to understand.

"And how do we get him to sing the raag? He is well aware of the effect of the melody!"

"Well, he will sing it!"

"What makes you so sure?"

"His Majesty herself will ask him to!" He stared triumphantly around.

"How will that be done?"

"Well, we will tell His Majesty about the raag being so strong that it can light lamps! And that none other than Tansen is capable of singing the raag!"

"Ah, what a plan! I'm sure that will make His Majesty so curious that he will ask Tansen to do it. Excellent, Rahul!" he laughed maliciously.

"Who will tell His Majesty about this? Rahul, will you do it?"