Chapter 1. Big Trouble, Little New York

This was a mess.

It was difficult to predict situations such as these and even harder to react to them. Sometime during midday several NYPD stations were notified of yet another attack from a villain, unfortunately reports underestimated the threat and all dispatched cars were quickly decimated. No small-time heroes fared any better either, in this case the villain was just too strong.

Phil Urich sat in the passenger seat of a police vehicle currently racing to 24th Street. His heart in his throat as a result of the dangerous manoeuvres the driver was undertaking, no doubt breaking several speeding laws while swerving in between dawdling vehicles. Behind the vehicle Phil was sharing there were several more NYPD vehicles tailgating, sirens blaring and full of cops just as scared. As Phil attempted to load his police standard issue shotgun he occasionally stole glances to the left where the driver sat, either to calm himself or try to understand how to feel about the current situation.

"What's your name, son?" The driver asked in between grunts and aggressively twisting the wheel.

For a few moments Phil hesitated and took a few breaths "Phil...my name's Phillip" he blurted out, not letting his nervousness get the best of him. The driver looked him up and down before taking her eyes back to the chaotic road ahead, her dark bob cut waving around with her movements.

"I'm Yuriko. Capt-" before she could finish Phil sat up and spoke a little more confidently "You're Captain Watanabe. I've heard of you. The boys back at the precinct talk about you all the time." The woman straightened her features and thought about what he meant, she hoped they were respectful conversations but ever the pessimist, she knew they weren't. Women like her weren't afforded that kind of privilege. "It's good to know my reputation precedes me." She thought of the younger cop's name and wondered. "I haven't heard of you before though. You a rookie?"

"Yeah, fresh outta the academy" he was ashamed to admit it but something told the new cop that lying to the captain of the precinct he worked at was a bad idea. He was right as the woman seemed to let up a bit after his honesty, letting off a more comfortable aura rather than an intimidating one. The man just hoped that he could give off a good impression.

Yuri was solemn for an instant. Poor kid, he didn't know what he just got himself into. New York was one of the cities with the highest number of villain attacks. This was already in a country with a crime rate of over 20%. It just seemed that for every pro hero, there were at least 4 more assholes ready to level a city block with their quirk. "You scared?" She asked curiously.

"N-no Ma'am." Phil whispered, his head low and his back hunched in the seat. "Whatever we're up against I'm s-sure we can handle it" he continued, trying to sound as brave as possible while he held a loaded gun in his hand.

This was no job for the weak willed and Yuri just hoped the kid could handle what was to come. Everyone in this city had already lost so much, she and her family had already lost so much. All since the introduction of quirks and it would only continue.

Speaking of quirks.

"You got one Phillie? A quirk I mean." Turning to glance at the rookie for a second with a sincere expression, the grizzled captain wanted to at least comfort the frightened rookie before they jumped into whatever was coming. "Ah yeah but it's not too impressive or anything. Barely worth mentioning I mean" he'd likely had the conversation before, maybe even made fun of for his quirk as he grew up. It's not often that people would be a little hesitant to talk about their power without reason.

Yuri grinned at his shyness as she drove. "Come on, kid. Try me." Surely he'd tell her now, there was no quirk too useless in a fight, even for a cop. Phil scrunched his face and slowly began "Well I have like a maniac laughter. Basically if I laugh enough It can sort of annoy an opponent, maybe make them sick after 10 or so minutes.