01. The Construct of Reality

THE MEANING OF LIFE is truly a mystery. No one can fully grasp the concept. Humans, after all, are small-minded. Not in the sense that the size of their brains are small, but they simply lack the openness to see beyond the constructs of their reality.

What is Deja Vu? A strange phenomenon that simply occurs? Or memories of past lives returning, if only for a brief moment. What is the Mandela Effect? A shared idea that turned out to simply be remembered wrong? Or other universes bleeding into one another.

This concept of other worlds and past lives scares people. That fear is what creates their small-mindedness, it controls them into believing that life is merely surface level and that if something cannot be explained, then it is untrue.

It is a sad sight to see people limiting their minds, limiting their experiences. They settle for life as is and never bother to ask if there is more. That is why Quinn was so thankful for her mothers. They raised her to believe in and seek the unknown -- to live life to its fullest, awake and asleep.

While she worked in the Marketing department of a publishing company during the day, at night, she flew alongside dragons and conquered villains. In her dreams, she was a warrior. When she was asleep, she could become her true self, someone the Waking world would not be so accepting of. What would her coworkers think if she told them that her 'fun evening' consisted of playing make-belive in her head? They would probably think she didn't get held as a child.

And though her childhood was the complete opposite, there was no point in discussing that with people she barely knew and people who didn't bother to know her. 

As much as she wanted to leave work and escape to her dreams, sadly, money was needed in order to survive. And so, she goes to work, every day, 9 to 5.

"Any plans for the weekend?" A high-pitched voice belonging to Lauren, snapped Quinn back to reality, sadly.

"What?" Quinn blinked, her eyes painfully dry. Had she been staring? 

Lauren giggled, her blonde bob bouncing along with her. "Any plans this weekend?" She repeated her question.

"Oh..." Quinn sighed. She looked around the office, eyes desperately searching for a clock, finally landing on the digital one that hung on the wall. 9:01. Her day was done. She returned her eyes to Lauren and smiled as kindly as she could. "Not really! I've actually been meaning to clean, so maybe that and sleeping in."

The two women laughed politely together, merely a courtesy. "Well, since you aren't doing much..." Lauren began to speak as Quinn stood, collecting her laptop and books. "Would you be up to going out?" 

Quinn looked at her quizzically through her peripherals as she stuffed her things back into her messenger bag. "Out? With you?" 

"Yes, with me, silly!" Lauren laughed. "It's my birthday Sunday and I'm inviting the other ladies in the office."

Shit, Quinn thought bitterly as she straightened, her bag now secured on her shoulder. I should've said I was busy. "Oh, well, happy early birthday!" 

"Thank you!" Lauren smiled and the two began walking side by side towards the elevator that would take them to the company parking garage. 

"And I would..." Quinn heavily debated declining, she would love nothing more to, but her mothers raised her better. Maybe it would be a good opportunity for her to make some new friends. "...love to come. You have my email, so you can send me the location and time?" 

Lauren's face lit up with what could only be described as pure happiness. Clearly, she had expected Quinn to say no. "Of course!" They arrived at the elevator and she excitedly pushed the down button. "I'm so glad you're able to come!"