love hurts

AN: this is an entirely self-indulgent fic...i just wanted to see how this might play out

Tom and Bob were laying down together on the couch, Tom draped haphazardly over Bob, his head resting on the smaller man's chest. Bob ran his hand through Tom's hair as they watched tv in relative silence, content with each other's company. The two had had a long week, full of writing and recording, and they were both worn out. So they sat together, comfortable in each other's prescence.

The couple on the screen had spent the last couple of episodes planning their wedding and dealing with whatever drama the writers could throw at them. It was finally their big day, and Tom watched intently as it played out before him. The bride and groom were all dressed up, the venue was beautiful, music played somewhere in the background; it was perfect. Tom felt a tightness in his chest, but seeing as he didn't know why, he dismissed it, opting instead to hold onto Bob a little tighter.

Piano played as the bride walked down the aisle to the waiting groom, who stood with the ghost of a tear in his eyes. Parents, family, and friends watched with smiles. Tom knew the feeling, he'd been to many weddings before. Hell, he'd had a wedding. But that was a long time ago and Jane had long since left him. It was all for the better, though, because now he had Bob. And he wouldn't trade him for the world. He loved him more than he'd ever loved anyone before, and Bob loved him more than he'd ever been loved.

As is often the way in television, the show skipped straight to the vows. As the couple fell deeper in love, Tom's chest felt tighter and tighter until he felt tears start to prick at his eyes. "Shit," he thought, he didn't want to worry Bob when he wasn't even fully sure what the problem was. But, though he couldn't see Tom's face, Bob noticed the dampness on his shirt.

"Hey, Tom?" he began. Tom shot up, trying to quickly wipe his eyes before Bob could see.

"...Yeah?"

"You okay?"

"Yup."

"You sure?"

"Yeah of course."

Bob tucked Tom's hair behind his ear to get a clear view of his face. Tom's eyes were...mostly dry, but they were red and glassy. "I don't believe you."

Tom sighed, "Ok well, I don't know. So it's nothing." He moved to lie back down, but Bob stopped him by sitting back up.

"It's gotta be somethin'" he insisted. He put a hand on Tom's back to try and reassure him.

Tom turned to face him, "Are we really all that different from them?" He didn't need to specify who "they" were, Bob knew. He'd been thinking the same thing.

"Tommy," Bob sighed, "You know we're not. It just so happens to be that famous rockstar Tom Petty likes to kiss dudes from time to time, and so what y'know?"

"I know it's good to just let it go but I don't want to anymore," Tom said. He could feel his throat tightening as he spoke. "I'm tired of letting things go."

Bob didn't know what to say in response, so instead he leaned forward and pulled Tom into a hug.

"Why can't we have that too, Bobby," he asked, "Why do we have to wait for who-knows-how-many years before we can do it, too?" His voice was skaky and his tone pleading, and it broke Bob's heart.

"I dunno love," he said quietly, "I dunno."

"I just...I know it doesn't matter and I know I shouldn't care," Tom continued, "but everyone else gets to show they love someone. I want to do that. I want everyone to know I love you. And it's so fucking stupid, isn't it."

Now it was Bob's turn to get choked up, "Tommy I promise you it's not stupid. I feel the same way, but we just have to wait."

"How long, Bobby? Forever?" Tom asked.

"If that's what it takes," Bob answered, looking deep into Tom's eyes, "I'll still be here when forever's done."