𝘰𝘯𝘦

Robin Buckley had never felt more alone. She was sitting out in the middle of a little flower field on her way home. She picked a daisy, even though her mother had always told her to let the flowers grow. Robin smiled as her fingers grazed against the pedals, the almost angelic feel of the flower against her skin.

Robin had wandered her way towards the middle of the field. The height of the grass reached to above her ankles, and with her low socks, it slightly scratched her legs. Robin didn't mind, though. Her thoughts were clouded with school and how long she could stall before she'd have to go home and tell her mother about it.

Walking home from school could be obnoxious, especially in the fall. The heat was straining, and her mother would make her get a shower the second she walked through the door. It was easy to sweat with the intense heat of Hawkins.

However, Robin still made her daily stop to the flower field. She'd venture off every day. Even if she complained to herself about the heat, getting her own personal time on her walks home was worth dealing with the weather.

Robin crouched down, patting a spot before sitting down in the grass. She laid down, but immediately squeezed her eyes shut from the blinding sun. She sat back up, twirling the daisy she still had in her hand. A normal kid would be truly happy in this moment as if the world faded just to them and their little flower. But Robin knew the world was just her and her little daisy, and she felt robbed of the feeling where everything was make-believe.

Robin was the only girl in her seventh grade class who didn't wear pink and who didn't wear jewelry. The girls in her class would always giggle to one another every time she walked in the classroom. The sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach only grew worse and worse as she made it through the first few weeks on the school year.

This day in the flower field, the last day of September, everything felt hopeless. A strong breeze flew through the field, causing the pedals to fall off her daisy and left it bare. Even her flower couldn't stay together. Robin collapsed, crying into her hands. She had no idea how she would make it through the school year. With everyone making fun of her every corner she turned, and every flower being torn to pieces with one simple gust of wind, she knew she couldn't last much longer than this flower would. The flower didn't even hold up for the first obstacle, could she?

Tears streamed down her face, loud sobs escaping her lips. Robin buried her face in her hands, embarrassed to be crying alone in a field.

Except she wasn't alone.

"Excuse me?"

Robin peeked up from her hiding to see a girl with thick, brown curls standing in front of her with a soft smile. Robin just felt even more embarrassed, and she couldn't keep the tears from falling. Why couldn't she keep herself together for five minutes? Was something wrong with her?

"Why are you sad?" The girl asked. The girl sat down next to Robin, wiping the excess dirt out of her way so she didn't stain her skirt. Robin felt like it was surreal, like this brunette girl wasn't just sitting here next to her with a smile, but she was. The girl cared. That didn't make sense.

"Why are you being nice to me?" Robin asked, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"Are people not normally nice to you?"

"No one is nice to me. My mom never leaves me alone, so I have to go here. The girls at school think I'm not listening, but I hear what they call me," Robin said sorrowfully, looking at the ground, feeling ashamed.

"Then those girls are assholes," The curly-headed girl said bluntly, causing Robin to laugh. "What was so funny?"

"That was blatantly honest."