𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟- 𝑊𝑖𝑙𝑑𝑙𝑦 𝑑𝑖𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑜𝑛𝑠

The journey to work was a slow one. Heat layered down in blankets as Robin advanced, peddling her grossly undersized bike down the main-road of Hawkins downtown. She simply couldn't wait until she could tell her best friend that the advice given was some of which that had already been practically handed to him on a silver platter numerous times before, and it made a sharp sense of pride stick in her stride.
Robin Buckley, the person who- as before mentioned- had never been in a relationship, was serving advice at the standard of the once most popular girl in Hawkins. It was quite ironic, really.

The leaves rustled on the trees around her as the faintest breeze made its way through the air, travelling briskly between the area before continuing on its journey elsewhere. Her bike chain rattled, whining against the strain of the force pursued onto its figure. Family video wasn't too far away, then. Robin enjoyed the rest of the way in silence, focusing gently on not breaking too much of a sweat.

In the next five minutes, the bright colours of Palace Arcade and Family Video faded into view- and as if the temperamental weather wasn't strange enough, a basically unthinkable event had shown itself right in front of her eyes.
Steve Harrington, the guy who was notorious for his famously late entrances, had broken his streak completely. He sat there placed nimbly behind the counter and Robin squinted her eyes through the glass to see his figure.

However, before she entered, Buckley journeyed over to the nearest bike rack and dismounted her ride, lifting her foot to kick out the stand and to steady the bike as she locked up its handles. The metal of the rack was hot on Robin's skin, pushing the woman away with a threat as she breached its touch. That was another thing about summer; everything became unrealistically hot.

The bicycle was safely locked away, and with that information, Robin stumbled over to the front door so she could throw it open dramatically with her first line of speech.

"A miracle must've happened." The woman spoke, curving her way through the newly closing door. "If it isn't Steve Harrington, sitting behind that counter right before my very eyes."

The mentioned worker tilted his head, a lopsided grin working its way onto his features.
"I do work here, yes. Such a coincidence that you're seeing me here, isn't it?"

"Coincidence? I think not. Phenomenon? That sounds about right. It seems that the time switch has suited you, Harrington."

"Well, yeah. Means I don't have to get up at stupid-o'clock in the morning just to mope around this place all day."

"I'll make sure to put in good words."

Robin smiled at her coworker, snaking her hand around the backpack strap which was sitting heavy on her right shoulder. The woman continued speech as she sauntered over to the staff room near the back of the store.

"I made a phone call this morning."

Steve lifted his head to consume the words.
"Yeah?"

"Yeah. And the knowledge I received from said phone call was nothing that has not been stated already, if you'd care to listen."

"How so?"

"I'm smarter than you think, it seems."

Harrington stifled a chuckle.
"Doubtable."

"Rude- but it's actually painfully true."

She stopped in her tracks, tossing her bag through the open door and slamming it into its home for the day. Once she had finished, she waltzed her way back through into the main store-front.

"Be yourself, don't worry about what happens, something will show up eventually." The woman rehearsed, listing her points as she stared playful daggers into the man sitting across from her.

In response, he blinked, turning to meet her gaze directly.
"Isn't that what you say?"

"Yes, idiot. It's exactly what I say."

In all honesty, Steve Harrington looked defeated. The advice in which he couldn't quite grasp the hang of, purely because of the need to transform into someone cooler than himself, had become the widespread common which he dreaded it would be and had been voiced by the last thinkable resort. He was doomed; confirmed and locked in.

Annoyingly, it would've been a whole lot easier if the events were happening a few years prior, but since the demolishment of 'The Hair', population status had had nothing on the effects of life since then- which also truly and utterly sucked. It was always his backup. Life was hard, life was tough, life was trashy; yet the popular demand of Steve Harrington was always hot on the radar... or it used to be.

However, Robin Buckley- who was stapled and glue-gunned tight onto the directly opposite side of the wheel of relationships and popularity- had made it painstakingly clear that she was most likely doomed from the very beginning.
She supposed that it was just as tough for them both; just for wildly different reasons.

"Eddie was right." He mumbled.

"You're so cynical." She replied.

"You said exactly the same thing."

"Seems I'm good at doing that."

The two of them paused for a moment, compressing a sigh before meeting eye contact with a humble chuckle. It was what they did best; realise the shit situation, and stick through it together.