When he fails to drown you, he'll try poisoning too

I'm lying awake just staring up at the now turned off chandelier that hung high on the ceiling. I'd tossed and turned so much, that I loudly kept rustling the bedsheets, And Keisha had woken up to throw a pillow at me before falling back asleep.

It was our last night in Hawaii, as our three day stay was over. Our flight was at 9 tomorrow morning.

I glance sideways at the alarm clock on my bedside table. 3:25 AM, it reads. I sigh quietly and face the ceiling again. It was one of those nights again. The nights when Jack would run around my mind so much, I would refuse to let my eyes close for longer than a blink. I kept myself awake for as long as I could before attempting to fall asleep. But my body would long since give up on trying to shut me down.

I reach for my phone, and decide to scroll on it a bit in hopes to get me sleepy. I open up Pinterest and scroll through the pins for a few minutes and saving some to my boards. I stumble on a fan's art for a book. Just as I'm reading the comments trying to find the name, I receive a message from Caleb. I roll my eyes at that boy's bad timing and click into it.

Caffeine-addicted blonde☕️❤️: U awake carrots?

Me: clearly

Caffeine-addicted blonde☕️❤️: Sass pants on at this hour huh?

Me: bout to put the grumpy pants on too

Caffeine-Addicted blonde☕️❤️: save those for another night. I have cake :)

Me: pics or it's fake👀

Caffeine-Addicted Blonde☕️❤️: sorry to disappoint rhyming master, but I mean actual cake

Me: got my hopes up and for what

Me: OH WAIT YOU HAVE ACTUAL CAKE

Me: You got some for me too tho right

Caffeine- addicted blonde☕️❤️: idk, guess you'll have to come down to the outdoor pool and find out :)

Me: omw 🏃‍♀️

I excitedly get out of my bed and quietly make my way out the suite Keisha, Val and I share, down the long flight of steps and out to the back of the hotel.

I pause when I notice a very familiar blonde head sitting at the edge of the illuminated pool with his feet dipped into the water. I look around and make sure nobody else is out here but us before I start silently creeping up behind him, an evil grin forming on my lips at the image of a soaked, spluttering Caleb.

I'm so close to him now that I hold out my hands, ready to push him into the water. But before I can even touch his shoulders, his left arm reaches over his right shoulder and catches my wrist. I let out a small exclamation of surprise as he tugs me down so hard, I land on his lap. He twists me so I sit in between his legs, and his veined hands pin my arms to my sides, preventing me from moving as he lifts me up a little so I'm in danger of falling into the pool.

I gasp as he lets out a breathy chuckle that hits the top of my ear. "Good try Carrots. I applaud you for not tripping when you tried to sneak up on me." His low tone of voice so close to my ear is what has the butterflies running rampant in my belly.

"May I have the honour of being freed from your death grip Sunshine?" I say, sounding the complete opposite to what I was feeling. He hums in mock thoughtfulness for a moment before suddenly letting me go.

I cough and splutter as I swim back up the surface. I brush the wet strands of hair from my face in order to clear my vision, and narrow my eyes at Caleb's feet submerged in the water. I quickly dive back under water, fully intending to drag him in with me. But he catches on to my plan faster than I give him credit for, and immediately jumps up before I can grab him.