The Curse of the Endless Sleep

The Waking World - 252 A.D.

The first thing she experienced was pain, a blinding pain that screamed through every fibre of her being. Breaking skin, muscle and bone as it travelled through her body. In the darkness, her torturer pulled her from the night sky until it split their bond, and she crashed onto the earth. Her nose was infiltrated by the smell of sage, blood and fire. Chanting voices greeted her and surrounded her like a praying circle. Their song turned into invisible chains and bound her to the Waking World.

Now frozen in place, the voices fell into complete silence. Through a split of her eye, she dared to look but hissed as a flash of light blinded her briefly. In the night sky, branches of light grew before they took root in the earth, followed by a mighty and angry roar. Zeus was a selfish lover and a vengeful man. May Soteria guide him to her before the god was blinded by all but hatred.

It was the calling of her name that took her back to the present.

"Selena, goddess of the moon. I, Horatius, priest to your temple, have you bound to my will" A man spoke.

She growled at his words. Who dared to take her from her realm and brand her like a slave. The thought brought a foul and bitter taste to her mouth. Vengeance was brewing in her mind.

"For your release, you shall grant me the use of your powers."

Mankind was gifted life by Zeus himself but ever were they greedy for more. And the gods were not kind to those who took life for granted or even dared to take one of their own.

In spite, she remained silent. She would not grant this mortal her audience. Themis would be the only one, and she would let the will of the gods be known. A fate that would not be kind to her captor. As if her thoughts could be heard on mount Olympia, an angry flash of lightning broke the night sky.

"Very well, if it is only silence what you shall grant me, I will keep you bound to the earth" The man spoke brashly, but she could sense a fear rising in the other servants in the temple. And they were right to fear, as they would soon face the wrath of the gods.

"Keep the dome covered. She will grow weaker when deprived of moonlight." He ordered and rushed steps followed.

The marble floor was cold under her cheek. A perfect circle of light enveloped her body. She traced the sharp edges created by the oculus, the shape a painful reminder of home. Taking the last powers the moon provided, she led herself fall into an endless sleep. A sleep where she would feel no pain as her powers wained. There she would pray for the one who could free her from this invisible prison.

The Dreaming ~ present time ~

Lucienne walked down one of the many lanes of the library, a walk she'd made many times since the appointed librarian. But now haste was in her steps as she headed towards the throne room. The feeling was all too familiar, as it once before had brought decay and destruction to the Dreaming.

Opening the grand doors, Lucienne let out a sigh of relief. There, ever so graceful, her Lord was seated on the stone steps, but his rigidness told her enough. They both had felt a shift in the Dreaming bringing back memories both would rather forget.

"Something is wrong," Lord Morpheus started, "something is very wrong."

"It feels just like," Lucienne paused, and her Lord only gave her a knowing look.

"I must travel to the waking world," and with purpose, Morpheus strode towards Lucienne, "take care of the Dreaming. I know it will be safe in your hands." The librarian smiled gratefully with a hidden sliver of pride at his request.