Prologue

To everyone starting this book: I am in the process of editing it. A few chapters will be missing and incomplete and the quality will suddenly drop drastically. Just so you know. :3

I trudged through the woods, my backpack slowing me down. Beside me, Tracy glanced around nervously.

"Hey, do you think we're safe?" She asked.

"How the fuck should I know?" I demanded, glaring at her. She had long blonde hair, deep chocolatey brown eyes, and a little scar on her upper lip. It had been about two months since this turn happened, and god, when were the government going to fix this?

"Sorry." She whispered, looking down. I growled a little in annoyance, and continued trudging forward. Tracey and I had been together since the beginning of this damn turn, and she thought she was safe with me, when in reality we were going to die no matter what.

"We haven't been safe since those... things got up and started killing people." I muttered, the lack of sleep and food wearing my patience down. I didn't have time to deal with her annoying questions.

While we trudged through the woods in silence, I suddenly heard groans from the dead behind us. Turning my head, I saw a few geeks following us. My heart started pounding in my chest as I stared at them. They growled at us, and Tracy glanced at me frantically.

"What do we do?" She shrieked. Thinking fast, the geeks were getting closer.

I grabbed her by the wrist and practically dragged her through the undergrowth. I could tell she was trying to keep up, but the exhaustion and malnourishment made it extremely difficult. The dead were growling not too far behind us, but I could see a small shack up ahead. If we could get to that, we'd have a chance.

Suddenly Tracy slipped, helping a little as she fell down and her wrist slipped from my grasp. I whipped around, just as the first creature fell on her, tearing at her clothes and flesh.

"Jason!" She screamed. I turned around, racing away as I heard her screaming my name. But the house was just right there, and I could easily wait them out inside. Tracy's screams behind me wore down, and nothing but the slap of my feet hitting the ground and the satisfied groans of the dead were the only sounds in the woods. I raced into the house and slammed the door, breathing heavily and closing my eyes, the guilt of leaving Tracy for dead easily slipping away, leaving me feeling nothing but relief for my survival.