•8•

"Wait, so his girl really moving like that?" He asked. His voice showed interest and disbelief at what had just unfolded on the TV screen in front of us.

I shook my head in disgust at the character's actions confirming his suspicions as my fingers worked at my hair, but my eyes remained glued to the scene.

"All of this is crazy. But he's just as sneaky let's be forreal." I said briefly glancing down to make sure my blind effort to detangle my hair was working.

"Oh nah he definitely sneaky, but I mean turning fed is a whole different level." He said making me nod in agreement.

We had managed to make it through an impressive amount of episodes and were coming to an end on the process that had been taking down my braids. I have to admit having him here to help was enjoyable.

And his company wasn't half bad either.

Just as the final episode ended I'd finished detangling the last section of hair. I always miss my hair feeling free when it's in a protective style, but getting to that point feels like the worst chore ever. Now I have to wash it, detangle it again, condition it, and figure out what the heck I'm gonna do to make it presentable for this week.

I need to make a plan.

Taking it down was pretty spur of the moment. I didn't know what I was gonna do, but I knew that I couldn't walk around wearing those any longer. It was time.

I ran my fingers through my hair, turning to check on Phoenix who I noticed was quiet.

"You good? Are your fingers still intact? I didn't work 'em too hard did I?" I joked,  just wanting to keep the vibes.

The vibes were in fact kept, because he released a relaxed chuckle.

"Nah I'm good. It wasn't bad." He said light heartedly.

I scoffed in disbelief. "Please. You do not have to lie to me. That's like the worst part about having your hair done, right under actually getting it done. You know one time I had to sit for 12 hours?" I expressed, suddenly feeling flashbacks resurface in the form of pain in my lower back and neck.

Never again.

His face held a sympathetic grimace. "I feel for you ma. The longest I ever sat in a chair at the barbershop was 45 minutes. 12 hours would have me ready to fight everybody." He said making me chuckle.

I stood from my seat on the floor.
"What do you think I was ready to do? I had an attitude for the rest of the day. My hair was pretty though." I said while tying the hair bag and cleaning up all the materials we used.

I heard him laugh as he stood up & began to help me clean. I turned to him wearing a frown.

"No, no." I shooed his hands away. "You have helped me enough Phoenix. You can go wash your hands. I know they're covered with oil and edge control."

I grabbed the last of the trash, walking into the kitchen and throwing it all away. I turned back to him, dusting my hands together.

"I'm sorry about that by the way. I wash them, but the girl who does my hair can go overboard with the product sometimes." I said with a bit of humor, but still meaning every word.

Speaking of washing hands I need to wash my own. I hate this sticky feeling.

I made my way to the guest bathroom, hearing his footsteps closely behind my own.

"Nah you don't gotta apologize. I got a mom and sisters. I know how these things go." He stated, the information slightly taking me by surprise.

"Wait. You have sisters? As in plural?" I asked while washing my hands, making sure to rinse away all the oils.