1// The Dorm

"Lacey Campbell," I told the lady at the front desk.

"Your dorm number is 213," she smiled as she handed me the keys.

"Thank you," I smiled back before walking away.

I walked out the front door and over to my car. I opened the trunk to find my three suitcases. The hot pink one was for my clothes, the baby blue one was for my makeup and hair stuff, and the gray one was for my home necessities. They were pretty big, but I was still surprised I was able to fit all of my things in them. I grabbed the handle of the blue suitcase, which was also the lightest suitcase, and pulled it out of the trunk of my car.

My bags were so heavy that by the time I got out of the elevator, ten minutes had already passed.

"Need some help with that?"

I turned to find a boy around my age standing in the doorway of what I assumed was his dorm. How long had he been standing there?

"I would say yes, but I don't want to waste your time," I said, embarrassed by the fact that he could have been watching me since I got out of the elevator.

"You won't be wasting my time at all," he said with a cheeky grin. He stepped out of his dorm, closing the door. "Where are we headed?" he asked as he grabbed the handles of my two heaviest suitcases.

"You don't have to do th-"

He put his hand out in protest. "I've got nothing better to do."

"We're going straight ahead."

We started our trek down the hall.

"The name's Lucas. Lucas Bankman."

I looked up at the six-foot giant compared to my five-foot-three height. "Lacey. Lacey Campbell." I smiled.

We walked a little ways more before I said, "Here," and pointed to dorm 213.

Lucas chuckled and said, "Good luck."

Before I could ask why he said that, a voice came from right outside the dorm across from us, saying, "Carter's not home, but trust me, I would do much better than him." The boy grinned.

"Shut it, Finney. She's not looking for Carter," Lucas retorted before turning back to me. "Ignore him."

"Okay." I unlocked the door with the key that the lady at the front desk gave me.

When we walked in, the room was a mess. One bed had stuff all over it, and the other was clean and made.

"Wow, my roommate's a mess. I wonder what she's like," I said, scanning the room. This was going to have to change.

I heard Lucas snort from behind me. "She is very... How can I put this nicely?...stupid."

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little confused.

"You'll find out. I'll leave you to get your things all sorted out. If you need anything I'm just down the hall. Dorm 201."

"Got it. Thank you so much for your help!" I say.

"No problem. What do you say we grab some dinner? Not as a date, I mean. I could even give you a tour of the campus if you'd like?" Lucas suggested.

"I would love that! What time?"

"I'll be back in an hour? Or do you need more time to get settled in?"

"An hour sounds good." I smiled, happy to have made a friend already...well, at least, I think I made a friend.

Lucas smiled before walking out the door, shutting it behind him.

I turned around, taking a look at my new dorm room.

"My roommate is a mess," I said quietly to myself.

I walked over to my not-messy bed and began to unpack my things.