TWENTY EIGHT

"THERE'S OUR TEAM LEADER," The estranged words left Jake's mouth, raising his beer the second he saw the blonde walk into the Hard Deck — arm linked into Bradley's

Cheers erupted from her teammates, including the rest of room as Penny whistled from the bar, "That's my girl!"

She finally couldn't hold back a smile, grinning hard as she and Bradley made their way to the bar. Penny had instinctively ran over for a hug, Kristen gulping as arms were wrapped around her. Bradley's hand hadn't left her back, "She's got a couple broken ribs, keep my Mrs intact please!"

"Aren't you just adorable, Bradley Bradshaw?" Penny giggled, embracing him too as she finally pulled away. She smiled, cupping Kristen's cheek, "I'm so happy to see you Kit."

"I'm glad to see you too, Pen," Kristen cheered, though she had noticed Penny's outward walking direction and her daughter Amelia also peeking through the door, "Well, where are you headed at this hour?"

Penny pulled a key from her pocket, placing it in Kristen's palm, "Would you close up for me when y'all are done? Amelia and I are heading out."

"Where's out?" Kristen furrowed her brows.

"I'm heading away for a while with Amelia," Penny explained, "Just wanted to come see you before I left... I-I had to see you, kid. I'm so happy you all came home."

"What about Mav?" She abruptly blurted out, Kristen's jaw dropped, "Pen! You cant go now! He's home too!"

Penny smiled, "I'll find him when the time's right."

"There's no way you're gonna leave things like this again! Come on Pen!"

Penny gulped, "Just needing some space, I've been reminded of why pilots and I don't really work lately."

"But you love him, don't you?" Kristen crossed her arms, "Love is enough, remember?"

"I taught you too well, huh," Penny winked, "I'll see you soon Kristen, keep an eye on the dino for me though..."

THE NIGHT WAS FILLED WITH BOOZE AND POOL, a favourite for the crop of Top Gun pilots that had flooded the bar in congratulations of the recent accomplishment. Kristen felt fine throughout the night, acknowledging later when she felt a little claustrophobic in the room not wanting to ruin any bit of the cheering atmosphere.

"I'm gonna go get some air," Kristen kissed Bradley's cheek, barely leaving his arms as he tugged at her jacket, "You okay?"

She nodded, a thoughtful smile appearing despite her words, "Could... could you not ask me that just for the night?"

Bradley furrowed his brows, spinning to face her completely, "How come?"

"You've been on me like a hawk and I love you for it, but I want you to have some fun too," She insisted, "You completed this mission too, babe."