Voicemail

Wednesday, July 15th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 2:42 P.M.

"Sorry. I missed you. Just wanted to say what's up. It's been so long since I called. I know I shouldn't since everyone keeps telling me not to, but I can't help it. A part of me was hoping you would pick up. Funny right? I knew you wouldn't. Well, I'll try to contain myself next time. Bye."

Tuesday, July 21st. Message from 915-555-7668 at 7:58 P.M.

"Hey. Me again. I know I said I wouldn't call again, but I thought of you today. Yes, Again. Went to that restaurant you kept telling me about, and never went? Oh my God! It was amazing! All right. Seriously will try not to call again. Bye."

Saturday, July 25th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 11:21 P.M.

*Loud music* "HEY!! SORRY TO CALL SO LATE, BUT—" *to someone in the background* "IZ FINE. NO. I DINT CALL." *returned to call* "I CAME OU' CUZ IZ MY BIRRRTTTHHDDDAAY!"

Saturday, July 25th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 2:23 A.M.

"I am so sorry to call this late. I just got home and threw up. Fuck, I don't know why I told you that. Sorry. Bye."

Saturday, August 1st. Message from 915-555-7668 at 4:30 P.M.

"I wasn't going to call you again after the shit I did last weekend, but I thought I saw you today. Was walking down the boardwalk where we used to go all the time and swore, I saw you. I was going to run up to you, but I knew it couldn't have been you since you hated the beach. You always complained about getting burned while I just tanned. Oh well. Bye."

Monday, August 3rd. Message from 915-555-7668 at 11:51 A.M.

"Hey. Was caught up at work, and Sheryl came in asking about you. I don't think she heard. I didn't exactly want to tell her since it's still too soon, even for me. I mean, two weeks isn't long to get over someone, right? I know you don't feel the same, but everyone deals with heartache their own way. Gotta go."

Friday, August 7th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 4:10 P.M.

"Hey! Went out with some of the guys from work for an after-work beer. It turned into multiple beers. You hated when I did that because I never invited you. You always claimed that I can never have just one. Then I would come home and hear from you. Fuck. I miss you. Shit. I gotta go now."

Tuesday, August 11th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 3:01 P.M.

"What's up? Stupid question since I'm on your voicemail. Anyway. Lionel came in asking about you. Actually, he asked about me. Apparently, Sheryl told him, and he came to check on me. I don't know how many times I need to tell everyone I'm doing fine. I guess I should wear a huge sign on my chest saying I'm just dandy. Well, sorry for taking up your time."

Wednesday, August 12th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 12:12 P.M.

"Hey. I know. I really need to stop calling you, but I can't help it. This is the only way I can hear your voice since you won't answer. Two weeks isn't long enough. I broke down in the office today and was sent home. Sheryl didn't seem too upset. She said she experienced this when she was younger. Fuck. Is it too much to ask for you to come home? I guess that's me reaching too far."

Thursday, August 13th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 10:45 P.M.

"I don't know if you have noticed thus far, but I don't think I can stop calling you. I can't stop thinking of you. It's driving me insane that I can't see you. It's not fucking fair. Fuck."

Friday, August 14th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 7:03 P.M.

"Going on my first date in a long time. Wish me luck? Of course, you won't. If you could, I wouldn't be on your voicemail. Well, I have to go."

Wednesday, September 9th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 1:21 P.M.

"It's been awhile since I called. I got a girlfriend now. Her name is Danielle. She's amazing. I told her all about you and she felt sorry for me. I actually told her on that first date. She cried. I told her how long it had been, and she cried even harder. She told me she knew what I was going through and that three weeks was inspiring to get my life back to normal. It took her almost a year. It broke my heart for her. Well, I think she's at my door. Bye."

Friday, August 19th. Message from 915-555-7668 at 3:31 P.M.

"Hey. It has been a little less than a year since I last called you. Me and Dani are getting married in two weeks. I promised her that after the year anniversary of your death, I would take that leap. Damn it, brother. I wish I could give you a real invite. You won't be there as my best man as we always talked about when we were kids. You won't be there to keep me from running the other way when Dani walks to me. Everything was swiped from us when that car hit you. Brother, I miss you so goddamn much. I love you. But I really should stop calling you. I'm getting rid of my phone and swiping the numbers from it. The pictures I'll keep forever, but I can't keep calling you. Bye, big brother. Hopefully one day I'll see you again."