Chapter ONE

Ruby

"Are you really saying you'd rather go to work than go to the beach with me this weekend?"

   I tear my eyes away from the book I'm reading to look over at my best friend - let's be honest, my only friend - Garrett. He's only two years older than me but he's like a giant, always towering over me. He's over six feet tall and I'm barely five foot two inches. Garrett has saved my life more than once, in my opinion. Letting me move in with him three years ago was the biggest one. I was only a kid, barely eighteen, and we barely knew each other. That's the first time he saved me.

    "I have to work, unless you want to cover my half of the rent. Again," I tell him, shaking my head. My mess of brownish-red, thick, curly hair flops around. 

    "But it's already the first week of September. I want one more beach day before the stupid fall," he goes on, basically whining.

    "You are lucky you don't work weekends. But I have to work," I remind him.

    "Fine. Be responsible and shit," he teases and then hugs me before disappearing down the hallway towards his room.

   We've been sharing this two-bedroom apartment for two and a half years, and he lived here almost one year prior to that, with a different roommate. We both had the same type of childhood - growing up in the foster system and with CPS knowing more about us than anyone else. He got adopted at age ten by the family who'd been fostering him for a year, and they helped him move out when he was twenty. I wasn't so lucky.

   I've spent plenty of time since I turned eighteen being grateful for Garrett and for my life now, as an adult. I'm twenty-one, so barely that, but still. I've also spent time being angry for the shitty life I was given. The parents that I had, the things that happened to me. Hell, I still sit in my bedroom at night sometimes I think why me? But I'm thankful for this apartment and my job, at the museum across town, even if I do have to work on the weekends.

   Garrett landed a desk job at a marketing firm, also thanks to his foster dad, Mike. He's been working there for three years and has moved up from coffee guy to a respectable content writer. It's so perfect for him and even though it's hard to not be jealous sometimes, I'm proud of him.

*

  On Saturday morning, I watch as Garrett packs up his cooler and his backpack and wait for him to turn his attention to me. He's meeting a couple of his friends in Eastlake, only an hour from Youngstown, for a beach day. I've spent many days on that very beach with Garrett, so knowing he's going without me sort of stings.

    "You can still call in sick?" he suggests, then shrugs, knowing I won't.

    "My shift starts in two hours," I say, shaking my head at him.

    "Fine. Have a wonderful day," he answers in a mocking tone.

    "Say hi to Bet and Wally for me," I finish.

    It's a seemingly normal day at the Youngstown Museum. The main floor is like an open play area for kids. There's a climbing structure and lots of big foam building blocks. The back wall has a massive aquarium. There's some interactive features like buttons to press to play clips of different styles of music. And there's a smaller area for babies and toddlers to enjoy. I work at the main desk, surrounded by all of this. It's fun, overall. I get to see the joy and happiness on kids' faces every day.

   The second floor is the area where we get new exhibits each month or two. Right now, it's a dinosaur experience. The third floor is all modern art - paintings and sculptures. I don't get up to the third floor much.