a family divided | aemond targaryen x reader

Seeing the Iron Throne after so long feels horribly bittersweet

Seeing the Iron Throne after so long feels horribly bittersweet. Seated on it should be your stepmother Rhaenyra, not her traitor of a half-brother - and your cousin - Aegon, instead.

The knights that flank you roughly push you forward until you are standing before the throne. Your eyes blaze with fury at this indignity.

“Lady Y/N,” he sneers.

The Conqueror’s crown rests atop his head, its rubies gleaming brilliantly, and the sight only enrages you more. He is neither worthy nor deserving of it. He is no king, and so you refuse to accept him as such.

“Prince Aegon,” you reply stiffly. At once, the knights’ grip on both of your arms tightens, and Aegon’s jaw clenches.

“You will acknowledge your king,” he snarls.

Your mouth remains closed, much to his displeasure.

He rises from the throne to approach you. “It is only to avoid being branded a kinslayer that you are not already dead,” he whispers.

You give him a mirthless smile before spitting directly into his face.

Aegon flinches, but when his eyes next meet yours, they are filled with anger. “You are your father, you wilful bitch,” he hisses, sharply backhanding your face.

Although your cheek stings and a hot tear is running down, you do not stumble or waver. “That I am,” you say. “And when he discovers what you’ve done, he’ll kill you and anyone that stands in his way.”

You are your father Daemon’s pride and joy, and your words certainly hold merit. Aegon knows this; although he acts nonchalant, his face is pale.

“Against Vhagar and my brother, your dear father stands little chance.”

As he turns away, your gaze shifts to the right… to an all-too familiar face.

“Take her to the cell-”

“Brother.”

Aemond interjects before Aegon can finish giving his command. Although he speaks to his brother, his gaze remains on you.

“What is it?” asks the pretender impatiently.

“She is still a lady,” he says. “Our cousin. My chambers are large enough, let me take charge of her instead. She will not escape.”

Aegon’s lip curls. “That is not what concerns me, Aemond.”

As children, you had all grown up together. Although you and Aegon never got on, you were close to his siblings - particularly Aemond, and your shared affection for one another was little secret.

Seeing your childhood friend on opposite sides of this war is bad enough, without the painful knowledge that in another world, the two of you could easily have been something more by now.