You Are My World, Mrs Grimes

The night was drawing in around the prison and although there were no walkers present at the time, which was a rarity, many of the group were still on guard. Glen took the front of the inside gates accompanied by Maggie, Daryl was guarding the sides of the outside gates, walking between each one like a real prison guard would before the outbreak with his crossbow slung over one shoulder and Rick was looking out from the tower to see into the thick greenery that surrounded their new place that they could finally call 'home'. Even if it was grey, dingy and maybe had some walkers dotted around here and there, it was the best that the group had had in many months so they were more than happy.

The remaining few of the group were inside the prison while some were asleep. The ones who were still awake while the sun was sitting was Beth, who was giggling with Judith, Carl, who was playing cards with Michonne who had found and brought them back from a supply run while Hershel looked on, and finally there was Rebecca. She had been with the group pretty much from the beginning and was the one who took Rick in when he had been wounded by some hillbillies looking for trouble - they were inseparable ever since and they would die for each other even though neither of them could live without the other.

Rebecca was sitting in one of the cells reading a Harry Potter book for what seemed the 100th time since the outbreak, it was one of the few books she had but she loved reading so it was no worry to her. However, after growing tired of reading, she decided to go out and see how the others were doing - she haven't seen them for what seemed to be 4 hours now so she wanted to at least keep them company or help in some way.

As Rebecca walked out of the prison and out of the gates past Glen and Maggie who were pretty much entangled in a hug, she couldn't see Rick. Wondering where he was on guard, she went up to Daryl for answers.

"Hey Daryl, is the guard going okay?"

With a pause, and as he walked past her not breaking his gaze off the gates, he replied "What ya thank"

"Boring I'm guessing, but you're doing a great job! Thank you Daryl" she said with a smile.

Daryl didn't reply.

"Uh, did you happen to know where Rick is? I can't find him and-"

"Don't ya have a mind of ya own gurl?" Daryl said storming towards her with a harsh tone. "Ya ain't no puppy dawg, so why yer a'ways followin him, huh?"

In shock at his sudden outburst, Rebecca knew Daryl could get angry so she choked back the lump in her throat. "Daryl... I just, wanted to see him and wondered where-"

"Well I ain't tellin' you nothin' cuz you've gotta find yer way in this world gurl, and crawlin' up Ricks ass all the time won't get ya anywhere!" He shouted back at Rebecca.

Rebecca couldn't hold it back any longer, she knew Daryl had a temper, but he'd never been as bad as this towards her. Sure they had tiffs between each other before, but it was gone and forgotten minutes later. This felt different and hit Rebecca in the chest.

Without saying a word, she ran off back into the prison, back towards her cell before her tear pricked eyes began to cry in front of Daryl or anybody else. Unknown to her though, Rick had seen the whole thing and was making his was down from the tower just as she ran off.

Daryl continued his guarding before hearing slight footsteps behind him getting closer. Before he could react, an unhappy Rick grabbed his shoulder and spun him around harshly.

"What was that about Daryl? Huh? What was that!" He said, shouting the third half of the sentence.

"Ya know the girl, she is a'ways followin' ya every fucking where and it's gettin' on my last hind nerve Rick" Daryl bit back but looked at the floor, not wanting to lock eyes with his best friend who he had upset.

"I don't give a damn what you thank, okay? She is MY partner, so she can do what she likes with me. It's none of your concern unless I damn well say so"

"Rick, I just want her to-"

"I don't care, Daryl! I do not care! You do not talk to her that way, she's done so much for the group. For you even, and that is how you repay her?" Rick questioned with his head tilted.

Before Daryl could reply, Rick had already walked off towards the prison.

When he got to Rebecca's cell, his heart shattered. There she was, laying in bed facing the wall, quietly crying but trying to muffle the sounds so that no one heard.

"Hey...." Rick approached with caution, not wanting to upset her further. "I heard and saw what happened out there and... I just wanted to see it ya'll were okay?"

He walked slowly towards the bed and sat on the edge. Rebecca didn't move but instead clamped her eyes shut.

"Hey you... Please show me those gorgeous eyes of yours? I've been looking at trees for the past couple or' hours..." He chuckled lightly, which caused a smile to grow slightly of Rebecca's face. "There ya go, come here.. For me? Please?"

Rebecca obliged after fighting the urge and nuzzled into Rick's shoulder, hugging him tightly but still not saying a word.

"I want you to know that you're never up my ass, in fact I would know if you were" he smiled. "You never cause me problems Rebecca and I want you to remember that because it's true."

"But.... What D-Daryl said must have meant something... I just can't do right and I'm no good for you"

"Hey! Okay now you get tha' thought outta your head because it ain't true. I love you with my whole being and I may not have been here without you... You. Are. Good."

Rebecca locked eyes with Rick's sea blue ones before a shadow emerged in the cells doorway.

It was Daryl.

"Save it, Daryl!" Rick snapped.

"I know tha' I said wrong stuff...out there in front" He looked down, one hand in his pocket and the other in a fist. "I know ya pro'ley hate my guts right now, but uh..." He shuffled into the room, hunched over and still making little eye contact. "I wanted to clear this shit up.. I wanna jus' say I'm sorry fer wha' I said. I've bin thanken of Meryl an I jus' took it out on you... I apologise". The room fell silent. Did Daryl just apologise?

With that, Daryl leaned towards Rebecca slowly and slowly opened up his tightened hand. Inside was a lone daisy. "It's na much but it's som'than..." Before dropping it into Rebecca's hand.

He nodded once to Rick and then went to leave. Rebecca wasn't having it.

"Daryl, wait." Rebecca stood up and before Daryl could turn around a second time, she hugged him from behind. Unknown to Rebecca, a smile grew on Daryl's face, but he was happy as shit that no one saw it.
"Thank you." She said, pulling away.

"Uh, yeah... I jus' hope we can be back to how it was..." He looked at them both and then walked off again.

"That took balls Redneck!" Rick shouted down the stairs with a grin which was then met by a middle finger off Daryl from over his shoulder.
It broke the tension as it made both Rick and Rebecca crack up laughing.

"Ahh..." Rick said still grinning, "I do love you, you know that?"

"Well Officer Friendly" Rebecca replied, sliding her hands around his waist, "I love you too".