Chapter 1

All her life, she was always running.

Usually, it’d be from her fears or from the thought of the unclear future. However, tonight, Selest darted across the silent street, while running for her life.

On this cold winter night, her clothes were scruffy as she had been in a struggle — the scratches and bruises proof of the brutality she had faced.

In the abandoned park only her huffing and the clashing of her heels can be heard. From the look in her eyes, you could tell she was running away from something absolutely horrible.

Behind her another set of footsteps was dashing towards her at a quick pace. This woman who was running for her dear life was named Selest. She possessed dark brown hair that fell a bit past her shoulders, and blue eyes which were usually filled with attitude.

Selest thought she was finally in the clear as the sounds of the person chasing her, had become silent.

She momentarily thought she finally lost the kidnapper. Her body felt extremely tired after she had escaped from the clutches of the kidnapper who had constantly tortured her. She had been chained then beaten up. So many scars and bruises were all over her once clear skin.

‘Who exactly did I offend, to get caught up in such sh*t?’ She cursed internally, trying to catch her breath.

When she was about to turn around, in the corner of her eye she saw something shine. Selest suddenly felt a sharp knife being pushed deep into her back.

The pain was excruciating as Selest felt her body quivering. She fell down, unable to run anymore. The torture and pain she had gone through rendered her immobile.

A warm liquid — most likely her blood,  surrounded Selest. It was hard to concentrate on the killer because of her blurry vision. One last time, she looked at the killer straight in the eye.

Even at the moment of her death, Selest refused to look pitiful. She snarled at the killer imposingly before she lost consciousness.

The killer laughed like a lunatic seeing her state. “Hahahahahahahaha!!!” They had succeeded.

Everything turned dark as the laugh of the lunatic killer was fading. Pain overwhelmed her senses, as she tried applying pressure on the stab wound to somehow stop bleeding.

Suddenly, everything became dark.
Right there and there, her once mundane life of going to work, eating food in her low grade apartment flashed through her eyes.

Though she had struggled financially, and had no friends or family, her life was still peaceful. When she wasn’t at work she’d read a fantasy novel, manwha, webtoon or even play the latest otome game. Her life was simple.

That was why it was a huge mystery to her as to why she had been kidnapped. She had never offended anybody, but was suddenly hijacked into a black car on her way back home. Then she was taken to a mysterious place, blindfolded and eventually tortured.

‘I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die…..’

Selest had an absolute will for survival. She had been someone who had struggled to survive in the hellish orphanage she had grown up.

After dealing with the bullying children, defending herself against the abusive caretakers, swatting of the lecherous adults, she couldn’t die now! None of the things she had always wished to do, had been done. Though she wasn’t a good person or some saint, Selest felt like she didn’t deserve to die by the hands of some unknown killer.

She felt like she was floating in a void of nothingness while thoughts flooded her mind.

‘Oh dear God please have mercy on my pitiful soul. I’ve tried changing but this is just fucking insane…. My legs feel numb I can barely run, I’ve been kidnapped and tortured for the past few hours….. I’ve been stabbed….I can’t move….. Everything is dark……’

So this was death felt like? At that moment all your life choices and moments would be waved at you.

‘How pitiful indeed. Wouldn’t it have been better to have been killed by the legendary truck-kun?’

After all, people hit by trucks usually got reincarnated right? Even in death, her love for anime and manga, made her think of a few references. A feeling of nothingness subdued her and she felt like she had fallen asleep.

Suddenly, the void of nothingness began to transform into a white space. Selest’s body which was once unconscious, was awakened and her eyes snapped open.
It took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to the sudden white void.

Confusion and surprise was written all over her features as she wasn’t dead. More surprise came when she raised her head and saw a boy standing right in front her.

In front of Selest, stood a boy with white hair, that fell to the sides of his face. Beautiful and enchanting blue eyes as deep as the sea. A sharp jaw line, that made him look a bit mature. He wore a white robe that covered his feet. Just taking a look at him, you could perceive the holy aura around him.

“Hello Selest. I am Ryan” The boy said in his rhythmic tone. 

Despite the extreme attractiveness Selest felt towards him, she couldn’t just go over and ask him his phone number.

She was wary. Out of impulse, she took a step back. “Who are you?”

“I just told you, I am Ryan”

“No, as in, who ‘are’ you? What are you?”

After that question, the holy aura which had surrounded Ryan seemed to disappear as he winked playfully. “Well, I’m the most handsome guy, you’ve ever seen”

Selest was flabbergasted. What a flirt!
“I’m also an angel who’s here to guide you through the new world you will be reborn in.”

‘What kind of angel is so flirtatious and so hot?’ She thought in her mind.

“I think I’m the only angel who’s able to be both and more” Ryan said as he swept his fingers through his white hair in a seductive motion. “I can even read your mind, darling”

‘What?’

“Every single thought, whether innocent or dirty, I’m gonna hear it. My sexy ears will be listening to everything” Ryan said as he gestured towards his ears.

‘Plaah! So much cringe!’

“Angels are supposed to be holy-“

“How do you know I’m not holy?”

“-and aren’t you supposed to have wings?”

“How do you know that? Have you ever seen an angel before now” He questioned.

‘I have not….’

“Exactly. Anyways, let me get serious before you already begin to fall in love with me” He dramatically cleared his throat. “You will be reborn”

“Reborn?”

“Yep.  And I’m stuck with you, so let’s get along”

‘So I did die huh. Well f*ck. It’s best to accept this opportunity to be reborn’

“Where will I be reborn?” Selest asked as she shifted away from Ryan who had leaned in too close to her face.

“A fantasy world of course, it’s the best for both sides. Remember the last otome game your fantasy ass played.
‘It’s always the last game you play or book you read’ She thought.

“Of course! How else are you supposed to remember the plot?” Ryan asked, ending it with a ‘hmm’. He continued. Anyways, all you’ll have to do from now on us to try to survive among psychos”

“What do you mean by that?” Selest asked

Ryan had a mischievous grin on his face and just said. “Don’t worry too much. This is going to be fun, darling. So sleep now”

He put his hand on Selest’s forehead and she was once again enveloped in darkness.Her last thought before falling unconscious was something along the lines of…

‘I can already feel all the cliches playing out…'