merry brandybuck, 'nightmare'

through the entire night, you tossed and turned, attempting to find a comfortable position. there was no luck in finding comfort when fear was heavier on your mind than sleep, much like your friend frodo.

you were discreet when hiding your uncomfort, especially while legolas was only a few feet away standing guard for the current moment. nearly everything that was a potential threat crossed your mind, but you tried to subdue it until actually needed to be a concern.

"(y/n)," your brother whispered, despite you thinking you'd hidden your sleepless night, legolas was not a fool.

quietly making your way over to him and sitting down on the grass next to his feet, much like you would when you were a child.

"why do you thrash around like something is bothering you?"

"because something is bothering me."

he didn't speak, which was his way of saying 'go ahead.'

"what happens if we do not help frodo destroy the ring? what will happen to the hobbits? aragorn? us? what about gimli? gandalf?" before you could notice, you began rambling on and on which legolas let you air out any concerns so he could shut them down at the end.

you continued on with hypotheticals, things that were bound to never happen. you began to scare yourself with more worries you didn't even know you had.

"do you not have faith in any of us?"

"it's not that i don't, i just fear that sauron's efforts might be more than what we're expecting."

"you're wise to acknowledge that, but it's best if you don't. the ring will be destroyed once frodo throws the ring-"

"have you not noticed how the ring has already affected the poor boy?"

"i have, but he is strong."

neither of you spoke, he was letting you process the idea that worries were insignificant in the grand scheme of things. you sat there, staring at the dirt and attempting to think of something to say but he eventually cut off your thoughts.

"go to sleep, muinthel." he ruffled your hair as if you were a little kid.

rolling your eyes and standing from your seated position, you began walking back to where your items were when you heard him ask, "why did you mention the hobbits first in your worries?"

you spun around quickly, looking back at him but he already had his back to you. heat rose to your cheeks, but luckily no one was awake to hear it. even if frodo was awake, there was no way he was worried about whatever legolas had to say.

the night after that you felt would go by just fine, especially seeing that legolas shifted your attention towards a certain hobbit.

meriadoc brandybuck.

you weren't sure how legolas knew about your crush, but that was besides the point. you'd been flirtatious with the hobbit since you first met him in rivendell. he was ruffling through your bag with pippin, they both argued that they thought it had been left behind as if you'd not just left the bag to go talk to lord elrond.