Chapter One

“Come on Plagg, please! I’ll buy you your favourite cheese, you know the extra stinky one you’ve been drooling over?” Adrien bribed the mini-God of destruction as he followed him around his room.

“Ughh that’s not fair! Why do you need to go as Chat Noir? Why can’t you talk to her as you?”
“Because! She gets flustered around me remember?”
“Come on, that’s only because you shine your ‘model smile’ at her! Don’t deny lover boy! I know you do it on purpose because you like her blushing because of you!” Plagg retorted.
“That...that’s completely beside the point!” Adrien sputtered.
“It’s the same, you’re in looooveeeee.”
“Yeah, with ladybug.” Adrien stressed.
The kwami suddenly zoomed into his face, making him go cross eyed.
“So, you won’t mind if she dates someone else? Stops making lovey dovey eyes at you and makes them at guitar boy?” The kwami demanded.

A shadow crossed Adrien’s face at the mention of Luka. He had nothing against him, Luka was a cool guy! Really! He liked Luka! Just…not when he was with Marinette, taking her on dates and stuff.

“Please Plagg.” He begged ignoring his previous statements.
Plagg let out a long-suffering sigh, knowing it was a losing battle from the start. Really this kid was one of them best holders of his miraculous, he never really could say no to him.
Adrien grinned triumphantly. A few minutes later Chat Noir could be seen racing across the rooftops, blurring in with the night at times due to his dark suit, only flashes of his blonde hair visible. He slowed down as he reached near Marinette’s house, stopping a few roofs away. He carefully peeked around the chimney and got the shock of his life.

Marinette, happy, sweet, cheerful, helpful Marinette, his princess, sat sobbing her eyes out on her balcony. A small blur of red zipped around her anxiously, trying to calm her down. Heart thudding in fear and anticipation and sadness and anger and hope, he carefully approached her balcony. Near enough to hear through his magically enhanced hearing, but not near enough for her to see him. His cat ears twitched, hating the sound of her sobs.
The tiny red and black kwami nuzzled Maribug-Ladinette-Marinette’s cheek.
“It’s okay Marinette, it’s alright.” Tikki’s agitated voice reached him. His claws fisted unconsciously, hating the person who made his lady cry.

“Its-its not. It’s not Tikki. I-I-I can’t-I can’t do this. Not anymore. She’s-she’s turning everyone against me slowly, just-just like she said she would. And-And-And soon, soon even Adrien will hate me.”

“No, no Marinette, Adrien will never hate you. He know Lila’s lying. You know that. You should tell him Lila is threatening you.”

Marinette’s head, buried in her hands shook in negative, saying she didn’t believe her companion.

“Why-why would he care? He told me to-to-take the hi-high road. I’m- just-I’m just me, I can’t even tell him th-th-that I love him, how can I tell him anything else?”

Chat’s heart was torn in two pieces, one half was ecstatic, she loves him, she loves him! The other was angry. Angry at Lila, angry at their friends, angry at himself. Knowing he would be of no help now, especially with all the revelations that were swirling in his head. Chat quietly left to return home, guilt seeping in him for leaving Marinette alone and hoping that Tikki would be able to calm her down.
As soon as he goes back into his room, he drops the transformation. Plagg quietly observes his human, trying to gauge his reaction. After a few seconds, which stretched onto eternity, Adrien crumbles onto the floor, his mind shutting down. Marinette is Ladybug. Ladybug is Marinette. He loves Ladybug, Ladybug who is Marinette. He loves Marinette, Marinette who is Ladybug, who is, who is, who is being threatened by Lila. Unadulterated anger courses through him, hate like never before filling him up and making him wish that he could just claw off her face.