↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 1969

Alexandria relaxed in bed after a long day of writing. Somewhere between her unusual menstrual cycle and her lingering suspicions of pregnancy, she had found a burst of inspiration and had really taken advantage of it. She and George had spent their day in different parts of the house, working on their own different things, only meeting up halfway through to have some grilled cheese for lunch.

Now, their day had come to a close and Alexandria was waiting for George to crawl into bed next to her, keeping herself occupied by studying the calendar on her lap. She had recounted the days multiple times, thinking that maybe she had gotten something wrong. She hadn't.

George collapsed into the bed beside her. "Good evening," he said with a silly grin. "It's been hell not seein' you all day even though you've been here the whole time."

Alexandria closed the calendar and sat it aside, rolling her eyes as she began to smile. They both slipped underneath the covers, propping themselves up on their sides so they could face one another. For a moment, neither of them spoke. Then, Alexandria said, "I haven't bled all day," and George's eyebrows rose in curiosity.

"That so?" he asked.

She nodded.

"Well, what does that mean?" he asked.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I did talk to Kath...and Mo...and even Cyn—." Clearly, she really wanted damning evidence before she even brought this up to George. "They all said that they had some sort of spotting before finding out they were pregnant at least once. Mo and Kath said it wasn't like that with all of their pregnancies, but you know, at least one...and those all resulted in healthy babies."

She paused, took a deep breath, then continued. "Although, I'm just naturally worried about—well—everything surrounding child-rearing, and what if...Christ, what if it was another miscarriage?"

George reached for Alexandria's hand. He could see the conflicted look in her eyes. She wanted to get her hopes up, which was probably why she went around and asked three people about their experiences with bleeding and pregnancy despite it being a bit of a taboo topic, but he could see that she was also terrified to be hopeful, which was probably why she was suggesting that she could be experiencing another miscarriage despite how utterly horrible it was to think about. "Alex, you haven't had any of those other symptoms," he reasoned. "It's been horrible on you the past two times, what makes you think this time would be different?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there, y'know." She sighed. "Christ, George, what if it means something at all?"

"If it means something, then worrying might not be good for you." George traced lines across her arm, and it soothed her.