Prologue

The battle seemed all but lost. They'd held the gates till now. Lydia had sworn that they would win. Though there weren't many of them. They were Spartans. The most lethal fighters in this world and yet it would seem that they were to lose.

King Leonidas, the man who'd been a brother to her for many years, stood near a cliff, watching the sun rise. His helmet sat on the ground next to his feet. He'd asked for Lydia and his dear friend, Aethon to come to him.

In the days before they departed their city, Leonidas had confided in her. He was sure that by marching north, he'd meet certain death. He'd told her that this notion was why he'd brought so few men with them.

Aethon had lost one of his eyes during the battles at this pass. He'd have a scar that ran from the middle of his forehead, through his eye and down to his jaw and he'd have it until death. 

Lydia stood next Aethon, waiting for their King to notice them. To grant them permission to speak. She watched her King and thought of how very much he was like a lion.

Noble, strong and proud. He had spirit that not even the gods could take from him. That not even certain death could steal. This man, this king was a hero, if not to Greece than to her.

"Aethon, Lydia," he spoke. His tone, though strong to every one who wasn't Lydia, had a sad tinge to it. That, even Aethon noticed. It was this tone that made Lydia aware that whatever Leonidas would tell her, would not be good.

"My King," Aethon and Lydia spoke in unison, bowing their heads toward him. 

"I trust that scratch hasn't blinded you, Aethon." Leonidas spoke, a tinge of humor lacing his tone.

"Hardly, my King. It was just an eye. Thank Hera the gods gifted me a spare." he replied. It brought a small, faint smile to Leonidas's features. Lydia had only sustained minor injuries in battle, much like the King. Only she had more injuries than he did. Leonidas, who'd stared at the sun since they'd arrived turned around. He brought his steel gaze to her. Are you alright? though no words were spoken, there was no need. 

Lydia's helm sat atop her head. Her moss gaze pierced through the slits. She stood tall and proud.

"Ephialtes... he's betrayed us." Leonidas started. "the Persians have us surrounded." he paused. "I will not let my men die here today. Take as many that will leave and return to Sparta."

Lydia's heart nearly stopped. She'd always known Leonidas to be a brave man, an honorable man, but she'd never thought him to be this man.

"A thousand Spartans are worth more than a million Persians, Leonidas." Lydia argued. "We must stand our ground and fight."

He could tell that her words were not meant to be disrespectful, nor were they meant to harm him. They were meant to show her devotion to the king she called brother. They were meant to show her refusal to leave the man who'd rescued her when she was a girl. The man who'd never let her down. He sent a glance to Aethon who bowed his head again before leaving them.

"I am not leaving, Leonidas." she told him firmly. "Chorís epistrofí, chorís parádosi."

"The Spartan code, I know." he spoke. "But more than ever, I need you to return to Sparta. You and Aethon both. Tell everyone who will listen of what occurred today and it shall not be a tale of cowardice for you obeyed the orders your King gave you."

Lydia stepped forward toward him. "Leonidas, this is madness. You cannot face the Persians alone."

"Ochi mónos. Giatí esý ki egó eímaste gia pánta deménoi. Sti zoí kai sto thánato." he spoke. Lydia held back the tears that threatened to escape her eyes. She remembered her lessons well enough.