Kate - The Proposal

She swayed, stumbled into the darkness, and yet she stood there, steady, unshakable, indomitable, with an incipient mechanism that did not allow her to sink to the ground. As if she wanted to fall, but her body had never learned to be anything but steady. Smile, keep up the facade, stay strong. Droning thoughts that kept her where she had always belonged. A steady thumping that held her thoughts in rhythm.

Kate smiled at her sister, catching sight of the Viscount out of the corner of her eye as he rose from his kneeling position. He slipped the ring onto Edwina's finger. A fleeting moment, not more.

Kate held her smile, static, unmoving. An emptiness overcame her, so strangely alien. Just what had been there, where now there was a gap in her thoughts? She raised her head and furrowed her brow slightly. The lord's gaze flickered over to her. A second, not more. Images, shadows, flashed before her mind. His head against hers, his breath mingling with hers. Too close...

These images filled the void, but in an unexpected, illicit way. Kate tried to suppress the urge to stroke her cheek where his breath had lingered warmly on her skin. The moment had passed.

The people around her set themselves in motion, talking, embracing, while Kate participated in this ritual without really being present. Like from a far distant she remembered that she had been against this union. She had only forgotten why. There was another thought there now, a different feeling. No longer anger, it was something new to her, completely unexpected, completely disturbing, completely....wrong.

One of her rehearsed movements, performed seemingly autonomously, faltered. It was just an irritation, nothing that could upset her. She forced the memory of Lord Bridgerton's words into her mind, tried to push the strange feeling away. She hated him for what he had said, no, for what he was. A superficial, arrogant, selfish man. Kate abruptly moved her head straight and up as if to manifest her own attitude. She was far above him. Why should this situation even shake her to the core, if only he didn't dare hurt her sister?

But these thoughts hovered only like a faint breeze in her mind, no more than a breath on her skin. They had been rulers over her emotions for so long that their waning was almost too light-hearted. But the storm the Viscount had brought into her life was more powerful than a loose gathering of clouds of hatred held together with effort only by her self-control. That hatred had, without her ever intending it, left a vacant place in the middle of her mind where, before she could forcibly fill it again, something else had already taken its place. It threatened to linger, growing with every moment, even though she had never invited it