Chapter One: The Dog Days

Y/n POV:

Just one more box and it will all be over.

I grabbed my keys and headed towards the door of my new apartment. It was really small, only 13 square meters without the bathroom, but in my eyes it was more than perfect. Only one box of my personal belongings to empty and I could finally close a chapter in my life, that had been torturing me for the last eighteen years.

Those eighteen years being my entire life.

I was incredibly grateful for having found this apartment, after all, the rent was very cheap and it was quite close to the university, where I would be spending the majority of  my time anyways.

As I was walking out of the front door, towards my car, I could only stare at the keys in my hand. Ironically, they would also be the keys to a new life for me. A normal life. Something that I had always wanted. It felt surreal, that apparently getting a normal life had been this easy the whole time. One signature and a couple of cardboard boxes had been the only thing that I needed all along.

For the last time, I opened the trunk of my mother's car. Through the tiny slit in the trunk I could see the back of my mothers hair. A perfectly tied bun, as always.

"This is the last one.", I declared and hoped, that I hadn't missed anything. I knew she would get really mad, if there was anything laft in the car.

But my mother only let out a heavy, annoyed sigh.

"Finally", she said harshly. "You know, I have other places to go, right?".

I just nodded and apologised. It would be of no use to argue with her, since I was this close to finally getting rid of her.

"Thanks for dropping me off", I said. It was true, I was grateful that she had brought me here. After all, she could have let me go by train, carrying all the heavy boxes around at packed train stations and losing half of my belongings in a sketchy waiting area.

Luckily, she decided not to stick with her usual procedure. Maybe that was to remind me of how much I "owed her". It was always about some kind of moral debt with her. But maybe it was, because she would actually miss me. I mean, of course she would miss that I wouldn't be there to do her chores, but maybe -just maybe- there was a little sense of empathy left in her.

Maybe deep down she actually loves me.

Within the next second she proved this hope of mine wrong.

Without even looking back, my mother started her car. I quickly closed the trunk and watched, as she pulled out of the driveway. Within seconds she was gone. With her she had taken my whole childhood and everything that I had lived for up until this specific moment.

And I was happy about it.