- Chapter One -

The snow tends to take over everything this time of year. Covering everything it desires, living or dead, it doesn't matter. Some may see it as an opportunity to relax near the fireplace with family and friends. Others will choose to come out of their homes and have fun with what they can find.

—————

"Alright, do we have everything for the trip?" asked Doug.

"Yep, I think we have everything. We have all our warm clothes, boots, goggles, and our boards are already on the car." Jerry replied.

"Alright then, let's go." Said Doug. Jerry got into the car and started the engine. The engine roared as Doug was double checking if everything was strapped on correctly. He got into the car and Jerry backed out of their driveway, starting their trip to the mountains.

While driving Jerry asks, "Hey, how long is this drive gonna be again?"

"Just about seven and a half hours, but we'll switch off at the half way point." Doug said.

"Ok good, I was a bit worried I was going to drive the entire time." Jerry added. Doug chuckled to himself as he stared out the window looking at the pine trees. As Jerry was driving through town after town, he noticed that Doug was already fast asleep. So, Jerry turned on his favorite music and continued with the drive.

—————

As Doug had started to wake up, he noticed that Jerry wasn't looking too lively and suggested that they find a rest area to stretch their legs and switch off.

When they finally got to the rest area, both of the men immediately got out and stretched to their heart's content. "Hey, why don't you sit in the car and adjust the seat 'n everything while I go grab us some snacks for the rest of the trip?" Doug insisted. Jerry agreed and stepped into the passenger seat; but before Doug was out of sight he called out to him asking for beef jerky, if they had any. Doug gave a thumbs up and continued to the vending machines. As Doug got ever so closer to the machines he noticed the deep orange rust of some of the boxes, he ignored them as they gave him an eerie feeling, one of dread and hollowness. Luckily a couple of the vending machines were brand new, untouched of what ruined the others.

Coming back to the car he found Jerry struggling just to stay awake, but opening the door he jumped up in confusion.

"So, anything good?" Jerry asked in a daze.

"Yeah, I was able to find some jerky, gummy worms, and coffee." Doug replied joyfully.

He handed off the goods to Jerry and he quickly fell back asleep; Getting back on the road Doug continued their journey. Being pretty acquainted with the road this wasn't too tough of a job for him to stay awake. He found that the open road and lightly snow-dusted pine trees to be a kind of therapy for him, almost intoxicating. Driving through the towns with beautiful landscapes and views he noticed the sun started to just barley set, along with Jerry beginning to wake up from his slumber.

"I'm assuming you'll want this," Doug said handing him the coffee.

"Mm yeah, thanks." he mumbled. "So how much longer until we're there?" he continued. "You actually woke up at the perfect time, we're about ten minutes away." Doug said with relief. As they got closer to their destination the overwhelming desire of sleeping in a nice comfy bed kept them anticipated for the days to come.

—————

Doug parked the car and Jerry took the opportunity to get out and stretch. Walking into the lodge they were greeted by the woman sitting at the front desk. "Hi, my name's Jerry and this is my friend Doug. We have a reservation for a couple of rooms for a few days." He insisted.