CHAPTER 1 : COLD SHOULDER

"Winter is the worst" groaned Ben as he shoveled through the endless piles of snow. December had come quickly this year, and the change in weather had come even quicker.

"Says you and absolutely no one else" responded his older sister, who was sent outside to monitor Ben's progress.

"If Mom would stop treating you like a spoiled princess everyday, you'd understand how I feel Gia." responded Ben.

A heavy breeze suddenly passed and blew a cloud of snow into Ben's face. Gia seemed nothing short of amused, it was truly disgusting.

"Mom KNOWS I hate the cold weather, and I told her I'd do any other chore she asked me to except this. Tell me she doesn't want me to suffer in a way that's convincing" said Ben after wiping his face with the sleeve of his coat, which was now drenched from the snow melting.

"She wouldn't send me out here to watch you if she thought you'd do it, don't forget you left the house once instead of taking out the trash like an idiot. She can't trust you to be responsible." mentioned Gia.

"You have no idea what you're talking about, and you don't even know what happened that day OR how she really is." said Ben with a slightly raised voice. "How about you tell mom that I went downtown, the driveway is clear and my work is done. I don't want to get yelled at later when she says she didn't know."

The sun started to peak out of the clouds for but a moment, only to go away and cause the air to become chilling again. Ben had enough, and wasn't in the mood to continue arguing about how punctual he is.

"You know what's gonna happen if you do that." said Gia, as she dropped her tone. "Mom is making dinner, and I know you're headed to that diner downtown to see that girl you're obsessed with."

"Can you mind your business at all? You don't have to watch me anymore" responded Ben quickly, clearly showing some frustration building up from the ongoing conversation.

"Georgia! Ben! Come inside and eat, it's freezing out there" shouted their mother from the front door.

Gia looked at Ben with a smirk. "Wants you to suffer, right? She wants you to suffer but she's calling us into the warm heat of the house to eat something she made for us while we were out here. If you ask me, I think you need to grow up a little. Tell Mom you're walking downtown to see your girlfriend instead of eating dinner with the family."

Ben clutched his fists as he watched his sister walk towards the house, his mother watching from afar to see if he'll follow. With a sigh, he picked up his feet and followed along.