October 4th

After we defeat the Shadow, I run.

"Hey, wait!!" Junpei calls after me, but my mind is elsewhere. I know where they are, but what Amada might do still remains a mystery.

"Hurry up!" I scream behind me, trying to control my tears.

"Senpai, slow down!" Yukari begs. "What is October 4th, anyway?"

"We don't have time to explain," I snap, glancing at Mitsuru.

"It's best if we hurry," she sighs.

Come on, Shinji. You gotta hang in there... You have to, you hear me? You're not going anywhere. Like hell you are!

But then we hear a gunshot. I stop in my tracks.

"Y-you don't think...?" Fuuka stammers.

"SHINJI!" I yell, and now I'm running faster than my legs can actually carry me, and I feel like I'm going to fall face-first onto the ground at any moment.

~~~

"Aragaki!" Mitsuru gasps, as we call circle around him and Ken.

"I..." Ken splutters. "I- I didn't... No..." He cries. "N-no...!"

"Hey!" I say, tears rolling down my face, as I kneel beside my best friend. "Don't you die on me, you hear me?!"

I roll his body over onto my lap, so I can see his face one last time. "Shinji!" I snap. "Answer me, dammit!"

"Aki..." He groans, his eyes drooping every few seconds.

"I'm here," I remind him. "I'm right here, Shinji. Like I always will be. And once we're out of here, I'll still be here. Back when we get you some help."

"No, Aki," he chuckles softly, before coughing up more blood. "I'm not going to get better."

"Don't be stupid," I shout. "Of course you will."

"It's okay," he whispers. "It's all okay..."

"No!" Aigis frowns. "Shinjiro-san, you must fight!"

"I did fight," he mumbles. "And I lost -- simple as that."

"You can't give up!" I scream.

"Akihiko, settle down," Mitsuru warns.

"C-come on," I stutter. "Get up, Shinji. We're gonna take you to the hospital, okay?"

"It's no use," Fuuka shakes her head. "No hospital will be functioning during the Dark Hour."

"And, by the time it ends, it'll be too late," Mitsuru adds.

"Well, we have to do something!" I cry. "We can't just leave him here!!"

Ken creeps around Makoto, hugging his legs, as if scared of what I might to if I get to him.

"Stop it, Aki," Shinji scoffs beneath me. "It's over for me. Just accept it."

"How the hell am I supposed to accept that?!" I snap. "You can't die, Shinji... You can't! You're... all I have."

"Look around you," he sighs. "You've made some great friends, Aki."

"They're not you."

"So what? I've been a shit friend to you after all these years. Why are you still clinging on to me?"

"Because you mean more to me than that, Shinji."

"Shhh," he hushes me before I can continue on.

"No," I frown. "Let me tell you."