ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ

It had barely been a week and already Kyeli could feel the danger she was in, she knew she had fallen into the wrong crowd. She also knew there was nothing she could do to get herself out of it. Was it because she was worried about the consequences? Or was it because a part of her was enjoying the thrill? She wasn't entirely sure. All she knew was this definitely wasn't going to end well.

She'd moved to a new city, desperate to flee the intense scrutiny and disappointment of her parents, she'd decided she was going to cut all contact with them as soon as she'd reached the airport. She had just turned 22, so it wasn't as if they could legally do anything about it anyway.

When she first stepped out of the airport at her new hometown, Wavestown, she was a little surprised by it all. The city was booming, a lot going on and a lot of thriving businesses around. Yet, it was so densely populated in comparison, and anybody she'd spoken to had never even heard of the town.

That was what attracted her to it, a chance to be somewhere people wouldn't know her. A fresh, clean state, a place her parents would never think to look for her... because they probably didn't even know it existed.

Her first interaction with a local was during her taxi pickup, a young blonde woman named Alex, she was extremely confident and had a powerful aura about her. Kyeli liked that.

Alex had given her a general run down, told her it was things she needed to know if she wanted to survive her first day in the city.

"It's not exactly well patrolled, the police don't like coming here because they rarely win a fight, anyone from a gang is intelligent enough to think ahead and plan their escape before they've even been caught," Alex had told her, a caution to how much backup she'd have if something bad was to happen.

"You make it seem like I'm going to be kidnapped and taken hostage, the crime rate isn't that high here, surely?"

"I mean, it's never not a possibility. It's alright here, it just gets a bit wild from time to time. Stick with me though, the boys never act up with me. Well, not the Southside boys anyway."

Kyeli quickly learned Alex was somewhat a part of this gang, it didn't cloud her judgement on her too much though, it wasn't as if there were no gangs where Indi had come from.

"So, you got a job?" Alex asked, curious.

"Uh, not exactly, I just sorta thought I'd come out here and go with the flow, you know?"

"I getcha, I getcha. Well, if you want to make some money, I've got a few things you could get into. It depends how honest you want that money to be."

"Go on..."

"You could work for my taxi company if you want, it doesn't pay much though, people usually drive their own cars around here. There's also a clothing store I own down on the boulevard, that one's a bit better pay."

"I'd love that, I worked retail back in London, I'm sure it's not much different here."

"Na, you'll be fine, besides, it's a good way to meet some more of the locals."

Alex dropped Indi off at her new apartment, she'd seen about three photos of it before agreeing to rent, it wasn't too expensive but also wasn't so cheap she'd have to worry about mice and bugs being an issue... hopefully.

Turns out, Kyeli's next door neighbour was one of Alex's boys, Jimmy. Alex introduced her to him, he seemed pleasant and respectful, nothing like what she'd imagined after the pre-warning she received on the journey there.

"You start tomorrow, I'll be in around 11 so if you get there for then, I'll show you the ropes," Alex had stated and given a warm smile in return, Indi thanked her for her help and quickly dragged her case inside and took a look around.