~Take the Step (Sokeefe)~

Sorry, LilithEverten for taking so long with this one-shot! To be honest I just really, really dislike pregnant one-shots. It might be my least favorite trope by far.

Enjoy everyone! I will tag all the Sokeefe shippers I know! <3

________________________________________________________________________________

✩Sophie's POV✩

That one step from the tiled floor of the bathroom to the wooden planks was perhaps one of the hardest steps of my life.

I trusted Keefe. That much I knew. Even though not a lot of things in the strange and dangerous world of the Lost Cities were in that category.

Keefe had been by my side in all of the latest Neverseen battles I could remember. He protected me and I protected him, not because we had to, but because we wanted to. Not to mention I don't think either of us could live with ourselves if we decided otherwise.

But this...this felt different. It isn't that big of a deal, I scolded myself. You wanted this. He wanted this.

Didn't he?

We have talked about it before. He tells me over and over again how he would treat our child like the child he should've been treated like when he was younger. And every molecule of flesh and blood inside me knows he is ready for a child. The way his eyes light up like stars when a small baby on the streets or a toddler of a friend gives him a smile, I knew a baby would be something he would cherish for the rest of his life.

I wanted one too. When I first arrived in the Lost Cities, I felt like a puzzle piece that was just slightly too curvy or straight or bent to fit into the rest. But now I felt not like a human in an elf world, but just...in a world. The Lost Cities was so different but so similar to where I grew up. I wanted to raise a child to grow up feeling like they had lived here their whole life.

Keefe and I agreed on this. We had done the hard part.

So why did it seem like the wooden floor in front of me would disintegrate if I took the step?

I could see him. Right there, on the couch, sketching some of the ideas he dreamed about last night onto some fresh paper. Any minute he would look up and see what I was holding in my hand.

Take the step, Sophie.

"Keefe?" I choked out. He looked up from his sketchbook.

"Yeah, Foster?" Keefe's eyes drifted down from my own to the bags under my eyes, then finally to my clenched hand holding the pregnancy test.

"Foster..." Keefe's ice-blue eyes swelled up with tears. He ran over to me, fast as lightning, and took my cheeks in his hands.

"Is this- are we...?"

I nodded. He stared, and kissed me so hard I felt like I might pass out. I wrapped my hands around his neck and pulled tight.

"I love you," he said, his voice cracking with happiness. "So, so much."

"I love you too, Keefe. We did it."

He grinned and gazed at the pregnancy test again. "Should we tell our friends?"

"Nah." I kissed him on the cheek. "I kind of want you to myself for a while."

"Well, if you put it like that..." Keefe picked me up by my legs and kissed me again, stopping every few seconds to grin like a maniac.